Rear Brake Noise "Moan"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced what Jeep refers to as rear brake moan, I have a question, how loud is the noise ?

My situation I purchased my Lib in May 05, in August I started hearing a very loud noise, almost sounds like gears are not meshing, when first driving in the morning, after driving about 100' the noise is gone the rest of the day. Repeated trips to the dealer (4) they keep telling me the noise is inherent with the Liberty, it is caused by moisture/humidity causing the rotors to rust and when the brakes are applied thats when the noise is heard. My response was June, July and August are some of the most humid days in our area and if it is mositure/humidity related why did it not do it during those months. I am also getting a thumping sound when applying the brakes at low speed, but again only when first driven.
I guess in my mind rubbing rust off a rotor should be a scraping noise, and not the loud clanking noise I am hearing.
On Friday I had a heated argument with the service manager about this, like I said I have brought it in 4 times and they have kept it a total of 10 days with no resolve. My wife is the primary driver and every time she hears the noise, she tells me and I am getting frustrated with the whole situation.
I am going back tomorrow, just would like to hear how others describe the noise they experienced.

Thanks
Bob

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find another jeep dealership in your area and tell them about the problem and about the break moan Technical Service Bulletin. also bring them all of your invoices for the work the other dealership has done to show what they have done and that it hasnt fixed the problem. they will more than likely order the kit and you will have new rotors and pads and the problem will be gone.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your reply and have already taken those options under considertion, the problem I have that since Katrina there is only a limited numbers of dealers open, with heavy backlogs, what used to be a 20 minute oil change is now an all day procedure, and I am looking for a direct answer to my question

Bob