Rear brake moan. TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
Well, so far the moan has not reappeared. I think it is fixed. Nice thing is, I have 16,000 miles on the Liberty, but brand new brakes on the rear that didn't cost me a dime. \:D/

If the moan returns, I'll let you all know, but looks like the new pads did the trick.

scottie3045

Reaction score
Rear Brake Moan

Hi - I have taken my jeep into my dealer three times now.
The first time I took it in they told me there was rust on my rotars and that they cleaned them. That did not fix the problem...the next two times they told me there was nothing wrong ](*,) . This was even after I told them about the TSB that is listed on the site.
I was wondering if anyone knew what the name of the new part that DC created? Or if you have any more information I could provide my dealer?
Thanks!

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine goes in tomorrow for this service. i also here a scraping sound when i go over bumps im wondering if that noise is related to this TSB or not. i will know after the fix when i go ovewr some more railroad tracks at 15 mph. the scraping also occurs over other bumps. its at low speeds usually around 10-35 mph. i will see if on the invoice it lists the details u need. u need to find a better dealership. i had to cuz the one i bought my jeep from was horrible.

ibezu2

Reaction score
We purchased a new '05 Jeep Liberty (December '05), it started making a groaning/moaning noise in the rearend area the same day we picked it up, it now has 22,000 miles on it. To make a long story short, the rear brakes/rotors were replaced four times (different types) within the next year. The parking brake assembly was also replaced. The dealership was very helpful but couldn't fix the problem...they were waiting on "a fix from Chrysler/Jeep." We filed a lemon law...at an informal hearing three weeks ago, Chrysler/Jeep agreed to replace our vehicle. This is not going well either. Hopefully, we are ordering our new Liberty this week. We had no problem with the dealer, but Chrysler/Jeep never responded to e-mail (generic replys only) or our letters. Chrysler/Jeep kept telling the dealership that they were working on the problem...they knew there was a problem with the Jeep Liberty making this noise. There are five Jeep Liberty's in our immediate neighborhood...three of them make this moaning/groaning sound in the rearend. Have a GR8 day!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had enough rear brake parts changed on mine to build 3 Libertys, and after about a week the noise returns, I canvessed my neighbors and they all have the same issue, but for some reason that I cannot understand, they say the noise does not bother them, guess I must be the weirdo in the neighborhood, but it sure bothers the wife and I

Bob

dnm45227

Reaction score
Every once in a while, (seems like colder days mostly) I hear some groaning on the '05. My solution, turn the stereo up another notch. I'm not sure if it's rust from the condensation or the TSB issue, either way as long as it doesn't get any louder or wear the brakes out quicker I think I'm ok with it.

Jimm

Reaction score
Blue_Liberty said:
Well, so far the moan has not reappeared. I think it is fixed. Nice thing is, I have 16,000 miles on the Liberty, but brand new brakes on the rear that didn't cost me a dime. \:D/

If the moan returns, I'll let you all know, but looks like the new pads did the trick.
Wondering if your brake moan stopped? Mine still does it. TSB was done sept. 04 and I was wondering if it was changed. Seems like everyone is still complaining about this problem. Also I have that creaking noise from front end when going over speed bumps. Maybe the ball joints? I plan on taking it in next week.

Jimm

Reaction score
Today they did the tsb again. I didn't get the # so I don't know if it's a new one or still the old one. But anyway we have new pads & rotors again. Of course no more cold weather so we might not hear it anyway. Also had the rear window struts replaced. \:D/

ibezu2

Reaction score
Well, we've had our '06 Liberty for several months now. It was the replacement for the one that was declared a "lemon" by Chrysler/Jeep. The "moaning/groaning sounds" are 100 times worse on this one than the other one...no wonder they stopped making them. I've owned many Jeeps...they broke the mold when they made the Liberty. I've ordered a '07 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2006 Jeep Liberty For Sale by Owner, just 13,000 miles, taking up space in my garage, need to make room for my fishing gear.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ibezu2 said:
Well, we've had our '06 Liberty for several months now. It was the replacement for the one that was declared a "lemon" by Chrysler/Jeep. The "moaning/groaning sounds" are 100 times worse on this one than the other one...no wonder they stopped making them. I've owned many Jeeps...they broke the mold when they made the Liberty. I've ordered a '07 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 2006 Jeep Liberty For Sale by Owner, just 13,000 miles, taking up space in my garage, need to make room for my fishing gear.

LOL come on. Sorry you had the trouble with the Lib though. Nice forward move to the 07 Unlimited Rubicon.

Selling 1 Million Jeeps and not having an issue would be amazing. To bad those problems occur for some of us. However, 99% of the time its fixable or it goes away tehee.

Latest posts

Members online