Rear brake moan. TSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kfnardi

Reaction score
I have a 2003 jeep liberty and the rear brakes and rotors have been replaced twice and about a 1000mi into the new brakes and rotors the moan has returned.. Any one else have this problem? Has anyone had luck with a repair from the dealer? Thank you, [email protected]

sini

Reaction score
yep... afraid so!

i've had my brakes & pads changed under warranty. shortly afterwards the new brakes have started groaning, worse than before ](*,)

have another service due soon... i'll see what they do this time

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By "groan" do you guys mean whistle? Because I have a rather loud whistle at highway speeds (75mph). So loud that it drowns out my radio sometimes. I can't figure out where it's coming from. I wouldn't call it a groan though...

2003KJ

Reaction score
no this is a very noticeable groan/moan. Low speeds, usually first thing in the morning (atleast on mine) but sometimes it will pop up after riding around town all day when the brakes and good and hot. Haven't heard it in a while, even though it's that time of year. Seems to happen on humid warm mornings. Haven't had anything done to it yet because everybody on here (and lost) who have had work done, have had the noise come back again....lol. I might run it by my dealer next time i'm down that way.

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
I called my local dealer about this earlier this year, and they said that the rotor and brake pad that is supposed to correct this problem permanently is still being manufactured by Chrysler, and will not be available nationwide until later this summer.

They did however recommended that I bring it in for an "inspection" just to document the problem before I get to many miles on. They said you might have issues getting this covered under warranty if you report it after 12,000 miles (something about brakes only being warrantied up to 12,000 miles).

The "inspection" was free. They look at you rotors for signs of glazing (which is apparantly what causes the moan), and inspect your pads to varify they are from the lot of pads that causes this issue. It also allows them to put it in the computer when I reported the problem so that when parts become available, they have proof that I reported it early on in the brake life.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wow, so THAT'S what that is....

Think I should have this "inspection" done? I'm almost at 12k, and yes, that's when the "wear item" warranty ends.

I actually haven't heard it in quite a while, and when I did hear it, it went away immediately

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
Ya, it usually goes away pretty quick.

You should call your dealer and ask them if you can still report it and get warranty coverage, but I wouldn't tell them that you don't hear it anymore. If they agree that you have the issue, and you reported it in time, you will get all new rotors and brakes, under warranty when they become avaialble. All new brakes and rotors are worth it to me, even if I never hear the noise again on my current brakes.

sini

Reaction score
yeah i agree report it to the dealer... just omit to tell them it's not currently groaning.

my pads that were changed under warranty were nearly worn thru after only 5500kms (3500 miles)... last thing you want is to run out of rear brakes altogether #-o

warranty = complain, complain & complain

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Here's the thing though.. while I have heard this moan, my brakes are just fine back there. I don't notice anything abnormal, and brake wear is great, and rotors seem to be fine. I know, I'll get it done at the last minute... eh, might as well tell them that they are moaning, and I want them fixed. lol3.gif

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
Mine have done it almost since we bought the Liberty new, but the brakes and rotors don't really look that abnormal to me either (about 13k miles on her now). Oh well, it's reported now (actually, I reported it at about 10k miles), and I will get all new brakes and rotors when they are available. \:D/

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moaned right off the dealer's lot. They replaced the rear rotors only (not the pads), and it's moaning again now. Will bring this up at the upcoming first oil change.

vinthewrench

Reaction score
I am starting to hear it now at about 7500 miles.. gonna pester the dealer soon.. is there a copy of the TSB online anywhere.. I didn't find it at the ODI site?

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in May, I complained to Mr. 5 Star about the brake moan, and he changed the rotors (not pads). Well, the moan continued, but since it was hot and dry here all summer, it seldom was bothersome.

Took it in again today, and this time they changed out the calipers. I didn't think calipers were part of the fix in the TSB, but the service manager told me DC had changed the part number for the calipers a couple of times, and they felt this would be the final solution. Proof tomorrow ... It's raining and it will be 35 deg in the morning.

Marco

Reaction score
:-k Here is Marco from Italy, also down here my Lib. has groaning brakes from rear axle, expecially in winter cold days. The mechanic will replace disk and pads, in warranty (I'm a lucky guy).

Jimm said:
TSB#-05-001-04 Rear brake moan while applying, or not applying brakes at temps of 50 or colder.
TSB replaces rear pads & rotors.

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I complained to the dealer about my "moaning" :-s , he told me that the TSB did not apply to 05's. I am at 11,500 miles and took it in this past Friday to have the brakes looked at anyways. They did not replace any of it, because they all looked fine, they just cleaned them and added a "de-moaning" grease on it. We will see how things go!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lea Ann said:
they just cleaned them and added a "de-moaning" grease on it. !

Went in for a oil change and told the service manager I was still unhappy with the brake moan, he told me that there was a new kit becoming available it included shims, shorter caliber bolts and grease, guess it's the de-moaning grease you mentioned.

Bob

sini

Reaction score
came back from a service at dealership... they have changed the rear pads again.

apparently these are the new replacement compound pad that DC has issued to fix the groan!

i’ll let you all know if it improves. it’s approaching summer here so i don’t think i’ll get much of a chance to test the pads in the cold :-s

Blue_Liberty

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer too. They replaced my rear pads only. Supposed to be some brand new compound as stated by sini. I should know in just a day or two if it fixed it. We hear the moan almost every morning when my wife backs down our driveway.

My factory warranty covered it. I reported it to them when I had 10,000 miles, but they did not have the parts to fix it at that time. Now I have 16,000, but because I reported it earlier, the warranty covered it.