Rear bearing? or something else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awful sound coming from rear of vehicle sounds more to be on the passenger side.

Sounds like a card in the spoke of a bicycle wheel but metal to metal sound.
Can't always here it... and after hitting a good bump or pothole, it usually goes away for a few seconds or minutes... sound gets faster and louder with speed... think it's a bearing, not sure.

Also, jacked up the rear and tried to shake the tire... tire moves OUTWARD maybe 1/16th of an inch, but not up and down... Driver side tire does the same thing, but doesn't make any sounds... so both tires react in the same manner, but only one makes a sound...

Any suggestions...?

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No vibration just the metal flapping like noise... my thoughts have been leaning more towards the universal joint however rather than the bearing...

Go figure though... spend a few days fixing the front of the car, and the same day I get that taken care of, something else starts up... lol

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a u joint, but usually with u joint failure you will get some vibration. That's why I was asking.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it around some today, and had no sound... So I got thinking...

Yesterday I drove it to walmart... NO SOUND... it wasn't until I left walmart with about 100lbs of groceries in the back that I started getting the sound... Wondering if there is a part on the rear end that would be more effected or more stressed with extra weight... Wheel bearing tends to hum more... I read some posts of how others described the same sound I have and it turning out to be the u-joint... at the cost and time to fix, I think I'm gonna go ahead and replace the u-joint, can't hurt... if it doesn't fix the problem... then I guess wheel bearing it is!

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine made a bit of a whine until I put the 175wt gear oil in the rear. It was only when loaded, like described. No noises now, even towing my tractor. Just a thought.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem. From what i have heard from auto shops is that it is most likely a rear bearing. not easy to fix, but better in the rear than the front(sealed bearings and are not cheap).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear axle bearing in a KJ are super easy to replace,some special tools make it super simple to(takes me less then 45mins to replace one side).If it is a axle bearing make sure you measure the axle where the bearing rides,if it is to worn it will destroy the new bearing in short order,basically you may need a new axle also,don't forget the new axle seal and gear lube also(a must).