Rear axle gear lube question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 sport with the 3.7 in it.

I'd like to change the rear end lube and I'm wondering if I need to run an additive in the rear end to stop chatter because it has the Trac-Lok or is it not needed.

DRAP Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
DSAP Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 sport with the 3.7 in it.

I'd like to change the rear end lube and I'm wondering if I need to run an additive in the rear end to stop chatter because it has the Trac-Lok or is it not needed.

DRAP Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
DSAP Trac-Lok Differential Rear Axle

Yes. I use the Mopar friction modifier in mine, but others will work. I think it takes about 4oz per fluid change.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot of the diff fluids will already have the additive in them. The dino Valvoline stuff I use in mine has it.

Hundojoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be opening a big can of worms here, but what is everyone running for gear lube? Synthetic or conventional? And what weights do y'all like?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a sticky for this but I've been running 80w90 dino, usually Lucas, but whatever is on sale. I can run this in my KJ, Ranger and Subaru. I add the Mopar friction modifier for the TracLoc. Change it every 20-25k.

I did run 75w140 Synth Valv with the friction modifier in it one time but the consensus seems to indicate I should stick with the cheaper stuff. No argument from me!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm running 80w90 Dino front and rear. Change it every 30k or 2 years.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I might be opening a big can of worms here, but what is everyone running for gear lube? Synthetic or conventional? And what weights do y'all like?

If you tow and or off road the 90-140 or somewhere in there
Dino only , no need for anything fancy, just like spark plugs , cheaper coopers are the best

See now I have opened up two discussions that have been cussed and discussed for years :ROFLJest: