Really Bad Noise Passenger tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2002 Liberty i have a crazy noise coming from the passenger side tire. It doesn't effect driving or anything but i cant figure out where the noise is coming from. Here is a video of the noise. Thanks for any info! The wheele is being turned slow in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTm8dZcvtlA

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caliper bolt missing, caliper dragging on wheel? Dust shield bent and touching rotor? Rock in between pads and caliper? Wheel bearing? Lots it could be. Jack it up, gat an assistant to turn while you watch and feel for noise. Whatever that is will have a feel able vibration when you get a fingertip against it.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering knuckle, Ball joints or tie rod end be my guess. Not much else it could be except the cv joint, but I don't really see that. Jack it up

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Those sounds are scary, I think your Jeep is playing Halloween with ya.:icon_lol:
Definitely inspection time. You were just turning the tire outwards slightly correct?

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes turning very slow. sometimes it doesn't do it but 90% of the time it does. I took the wheel off and had my buddy turn the wheel to see if i could pinpoint the problem but its so loud it sounds like its coming from everywhere. Everything is vibrating so i cant tell by that. Im going to rip it down until i find it. Just thought that someone could recognize the sound. Ill post back with what i find.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wish I was there...Noise only when slightly turning = probably a bad steering rack...
Power steering fluid free from bubbles? or air in system....
Any leaks or grease flinging out from boots?

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only when you're turning the wheel? Possible that the strut mounts could be binding, IMO.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My earlier post was assuming (yea, I know) you were turning the TIRE WHEEL ASSY! Instead you are turning the steering wheel. In that case the noise is 99% sure to be a ball joint. You say everything is vibrating, you can still touch/hold various moving parts and tell where you get the most tactile sensation. Just have upper and lower ball joints in hand when you disassemble to save an extra trip to the parts store.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewerJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would guess ball joint upper, could be bottom though. You should drive real slow turning hard doing like circles in a big parking lot. Usually clunk sounds are ball joints but the way that sounds it is creaking which I think is still ball joint