Ready to order OME, last advice needed...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, even if I DIDN'T want to, I'm about to lift my KJ
Hard to believe, I must be the ONE AND ONLY jerk who actually feels sorry for that... :favorites68:
Reason is OE stock coils ( locally made to Chrysler specs ) are crap and on their way out
so I'll take Tom's advice and go OME ( they'll be 927 and 947 then !).
Last doubts... :

1) are U/joints goint to suffer? You know, as far I can see they are already close to the
theoretical three degrees plus and minus limit...

2) are stock brake lines long enough?

3) can I wait a while before changing shocks? You know, I've already spent an arm and a leg
for a new R&P (OEM).

As I'll have my front axle disassembled ( I'll rely on YC's how-to, thanks in advance .. :) ),
I'm taking the opportunity and overhaul suspension components, but guys, wallet is.. :mad3:

It's understood I won't start the job until I have everything at hand (bought some tools too ).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
alright, even if i didn't want to, i'm about to lift my kj
hard to believe, i must be the one and only jerk who actually feels sorry for that... :favorites68:
Reason is oe stock coils ( locally made to chrysler specs ) are crap and on their way out
so i'll take tom's advice and go ome ( they'll be 927 and 947 then !).

use 948 rear springs or i would

last doubts... :

1) are u/joints goint to suffer? You know, as far i can see they are already close to the
theoretical three degrees plus and minus limit...

depends on how many miles are on the ujoints they are a wear item and may or may not need changed, cheap though to change

2) are stock brake lines long enough?

yes or depends on year after 05 you have to drop the bracket for the rear brake line down easy fix again

3) can i wait a while before changing shocks? You know, i've already spent an arm and a leg
for a new r&p (oem).

while you have it apart you should replace the fronts since it will cost you again later plus yours are shot if the springs are. If you don't then it will make the springs work harder and wear them out faster, rears need longer ones as well, do it right the first time

as i'll have my front axle disassembled ( i'll rely on yc's how-to, thanks in advance .. :) ),
i'm taking the opportunity and overhaul suspension components, but guys, wallet is.. :mad3:

It's understood i won't start the job until i have everything at hand (bought some tools too ).

see above

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This should get moved to KJ lift section.
Diyman definitely OME 927 and new shocks up front. The stock shocks are crapola.
I went 948 OME coils rear and new lifted shocks for rear are necessary,and new additional top rubber isolators.
Teraflex front bump stops and two hockey pucks bolted for rear each side.
Since the top plate for front has to be removed, do it once with new OME or Bilstien Shocks.
I have no additional driveline noise from U joints and I got 3/8 steel spacers, and clevis shims. My Wheel Hub to flare is 22.75 inches. and with the addition height from shims and steel spacer plate absolutely had to use the new JBA upper 4.5 control arms as well.
As far as moving brake line on 2006 I will let Tom/others comment on that one.
I did not have to move line on an 04.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys!

Tom:
- Hope 948s won't break my coccyx :happy175: but I'll trust You. Guess You have some clues about
my 'environment'...
- Yeah, U/joints are not expensive so I'll just keep an eye on them.
- chances are my '06 (per VIN) has a '05 layout ( ask me how I know...ABS ) so ok for brake lines.

LibertyTC:
- About moving this to the 'lift kits etc..' Yes and No, 'cause in my case it's only the absence of
reliable stock-size spares ( we all know that even OE coils suck.. ) that forced me into lifting.
Guess 1 plus something inches lift will be nice, but not more than that, please. Don't mean more
is bad, I am just not interested in it ( I know I know, I don't know what I'm missing .... ).

Bottom line is I'll have to talk to my wallet again.. I'll have to purchase parts step by step though.
In this order: 927, then 948, front shocks, rear shocks ( the only one 'shocked' here is me...).
Hopefully I'm done by the end of year...battery..and tires are beginning to... oh damn! :favorites68:
Uh, forgot paint job next month...:pp:

P.S. : IIRC even Trailblazers (ugh..) can be purchased with stiffer coils,at least here... go figure.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIYMAN,

I went with 948's at Tommudd's suggestion and have not regretted it. I commute a twisty pot hole filled 2 lane mountain road and the OME springs with Bilstein shocks really work well. I drive way to fast and love the way the Jeep handles compared to before with the stock set up. Even though my Jeep is now 3" taller than before, it feels more stable in turns and corners much better. Also removing the rear anti sway bar made the Jeep feel more predictable in the turns. Yes, counter-intuitive, but I will never replace the rear bar.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tnx Wes, yeah, I'll take Tom's advice. Just ordered a pair of 927. 948 are next...

Issue is I'll end up spending over 2 grands on my KJ this year, so I'm a bit pi**ed off...

BTW where is the :Rant: section gone? Or is KJ General discussion = KJ General Rant? :happy175:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Diyman you will be happy with the 927/948 set up for sure...what a difference over stock!
I dont even want to add up how much I spent on my Kj in the last year!
Look at the bright side....if you have one of those bonus points air miles charge cards you can get a free flight sometime soon...ASK me how I know...

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diyman you will be happy with the 927/948 set up for sure...what a difference over stock!

I'm sure about that, and looking forward to having all parts ready, hopefully before end of the year!

Will keep You informed!

Latest posts

Members online