Re-gearing and suspension Advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reposted this thread as it was probably in the wrong place.

I was seriously thinking to go up to 6in of lift but I found a post from a guy (he will recognize himself if he reads this but it wouldn't be right to give his name without his agreement) who was wheeling with the JBA 6in for a while and now goes SFA because he has encountered too much problem with the 6in lift.
So I made my mind up and I am going to stay with 31" tyres but I am still trying to improve suspension travel if I can.

I have OME 132L shocks with OME 948 springs + 2 extra upper isolators and the JBA 4in Y Link fitted above the diff. I am thinking of replacing my rear OME springs by the 4in JBA red springs.
If someone has done that already could you please tell me if there is a little gain in suspension travel with the JBA springs? I am not too bothered about lifting the Jeep higher anymore as the centre of gravity must stay as low as possible but for off roading a gain in flex would be beneficial. Also would the OME132L shocks be long enough or do I have to replace them too? If that's the case by which model of shocks?

Another thing that I intend to do is regearing to 4.10 and fitting an ARB Locker.
I know in an ideal world I should fit a locker in the front and the rear but at the moment I cannot afford both so I was planning to fit the Locker in the rear diff.
Am I right? Has anyone else been through this kind of dilemma before and decided to fit only one locker in the front?

Also where on the KJ would you guys fit the ARB Air Compressor? I am planning to buy the CKMA12 and my KJ is a CRD.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 4 inch springs from jeepinbyal give you about the same amount of lift as running the ome 948s and two extra upper iso's .
I've done it
As far as the 6 inch lift goes there is nothing wrong with it and have driven JBAs personal KJ , handles well etc. I know of the one you speak of and he is using his to the full extent of what a KJ can do. If you are doing the same then that may not be the route you want to take . If its a DD 90% of the time then it maybe an option.
If only installing one locker now install it in the rear first
Some have installed the compressor under the hood but its tight
also if planning to go 6 inch kit I'd include the JBA steel diff so you can go 4.88s since you'll want to go 33s or so I'm sure . If not 32s and 4.10s are OK but would be nice to have 4.56s
since I can only assume what you have up front going to the 4 inch adjustable coilovers is a real nice step up to some extra travel and ride is even better

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4 inch springs from jeepinbyal give you about the same amount of lift as running the ome 948s and two extra upper iso's .
I've done it
As far as the 6 inch lift goes there is nothing wrong with it and have driven JBAs personal KJ , handles well etc. I know of the one you speak of and he is using his to the full extent of what a KJ can do. If you are doing the same then that may not be the route you want to take . If its a DD 90% of the time then it maybe an option.
If only installing one locker now install it in the rear first
Some have installed the compressor under the hood but its tight
also if planning to go 6 inch kit I'd include the JBA steel diff so you can go 4.88s since you'll want to go 33s or so I'm sure . If not 32s and 4.10s are OK but would be nice to have 4.56s
since I can only assume what you have up front going to the 4 inch adjustable coilovers is a real nice step up to some extra travel and ride is even better

Thanks for this Tom I really appreciate your advice. Cost wise apart from the steel diff there isn't much difference. I lack a bit of information about what needs to be done on the CVs, I mean precisely where and how much has to go. But apart from that I believe it's a matter of lowering the cradle enough.

Also what did you mean by DD 90% of the time? On Road or Off Road?

Cheers,

Chris

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
DD= daily driver
Of course you know that by going to a 6 inch lift, and 33s even, you're only gaining 1/2 inch more ground clearance over what you have with say 32s and 4 inch lift

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DD= daily driver
Of course you know that by going to a 6 inch lift, and 33s even, you're only gaining 1/2 inch more ground clearance over what you have with say 32s and 4 inch lift

No more than 1/2 inch of ground clearance gain? Do you mean the cradle has got to be lowered of 1 and 1/2 inches then?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No more than 1/2 inch of ground clearance gain? Do you mean the cradle has got to be lowered of 1 and 1/2 inches then?
What I mean is, say you have a 4 inch lift currently and running 32 inch tall tires, then you install a 6 inch lift, you lower the cradle 2 inches and install 33 inch tall tires you still only have 1/2 inch more room under the skid plate ( difference between a 32 and 33 inch tall tire.) You have raised the body up more but in essence have basically kept the cradle in the same location. Only the tires have given you a little more clearance

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is, say you have a 4 inch lift currently and running 32 inch tall tires, then you install a 6 inch lift, you lower the cradle 2 inches and install 33 inch tall tires you still only have 1/2 inch more room under the skid plate ( difference between a 32 and 33 inch tall tire.) You have raised the body up more but in essence have basically kept the cradle in the same location. Only the tires have given you a little more clearance

Ok thanks Tom I thought 1 inch was sufficient. So do you think my JBA 4in Y Link fitted above the rear Diff will be low enough for a 2 in cradle drop?

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking of doing that?

Yes I am definitely going for it. Unless there is something really wrong that I don't know about but I thought you said yourself that you drove a 6in lift KJ and it was fine so do you think the JBA 4in Y link will be enough for a 2in cradle drop please ?