RB4 Navigation Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBorgers

Reaction score
Has any one had any experience with the RB4 navigation radio? How does it compare to the RB1?

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my RB1 unit. A few things I hope they change in upcoming software releases:

1. When you're zoomed in, it appears that there are a great number of streets that are not identified on the screen with their names. I understand if the name won't "fit", it won't be shown, but there are many times when it will fit but still isn't shown.

2. The lady's voice is very "bassy," which makes it hard to hear in certain situations. I'd like to be able to EQ her.

3. They've alloted WAY too much room for the radio/satellite identifier in the lower right corner. All you need is the channel number. I know if I'm on SAT or FM. The rest of the room should be given to the other side of the screen where the name of the street you're currently on is shown. Too many times is the name of the street cut off, or the town you're in is not shown at all.

Funny story about my RB1.... I was in the outer banks a few months ago on a ferry. I had my car on from time to time (2 hour trip), and my RB1 never updated its position even though were were moving. I assumed it was because the CAR wasn't moving under it's own power, so the RB1 didn't think we were actually moving. It wasn't until I drove off the boat that the screen refreshed.

blackie

Reaction score
To those with the RB1 and Sirius sat radio. Does the RB1 show you what's playing on other channels while you are listening to a paticular channel like a pnp, or do you have to change channels.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean will it alert you to a favorite song/artist, then no. It doesn't have those extra features. Its only a basic radio.

blackie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was asking about the look-ahead feature that pnp's have. If you press a button it will show you what is playing on other channels without having to go to that channel.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Its just a basic radio. No special features aside from displaying text on the screen (with proper cable installation).

blackie

Reaction score
jjo said:
Nope. Its just a basic radio. No special features aside from displaying text on the screen (with proper cable installation).

Thanks, I guess I can live with that. The guy who is going to install it for me has a jeep too. I'm a little worried about taking my dash apart.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blackie said:
Thanks, I guess I can live with that. The guy who is going to install it for me has a jeep too. I'm a little worried about taking my dash apart.

Its still a great radio, despite the missing features of a traditional Sirius radio. I'd much rather have an in-dash RB1 than a clunky aftermarket solution. People who ride with me are amazed how techie it looks.

Its not that hard to install, from what I hear. The hardest part is running the antenna (both the Sirius and the navigation). That's why I, too, had someone else do it.