RB1 vs RB4 vs External GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want some opinions from everybody, if you would be so kind. Especially from those that own an RB1 or RB4.

I am torn between which one to buy because they all have their drawbacks, specifically in terms of being able to play a CD while using the NAV given the sole CD player. I have the REC in my Charger, so I am spoiled by its dedicated DVD Player for the NAV disc and seperate CD Player with 6 disc changer, MP3, huge screen, etc.

I like the RB4 given it is newer and a little more feature rich, and CHEAPER, plus it lets you program in your route, then eject the disc and play a music CD. So I have to wonder, from those that have the RB4, does it store extra data from streets near your traveled route so that you can stray off the course and automatically be rerouted without reinserting the CD? If not, does it reroute you if you leave the CD in?

I like the RB1, on the other hand since it has a more square screen and uses the DVD NAV disc like my REC so I could use the same disc for both units rather than buying 2 sets every time an update comes out. But...there is no way to play a music CD and use the NAV at the same time without adding a CD changer at another 300 bucks. And even then, you have to deal with selecting 6 CDs before you even start driving that you would want to listen to.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the rb1, and have no complaints. I was able to find a sealed 6 disc changer on ebay for 100 bucks, and the bezel from somebody on this site for 15 bucks. The changer isn't a big deal for me anymore now because i have the ipod integration kit and an ipod pluggin away tunes. Between that and sirius radio, I enjoy my audio experience.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that external GPSs are much more cheaper, I wouldn't go with RBx.
I would get a nice aftermarket head unit plus regular GPS and stick it to the windshield. You can take that with you no matter where you go, and they are now getting cheaper and cheaper with almost unlimited maps, and now covering mexico and canada (in case you have to flee!) You can get updated maps much quickly, carry all your maps in your pocket and take advantage of trail maps, routes, etc or tapo modes of handhald gps. (if you are techy, get a VGA pocket pc and install your own software).

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also would go with a aftermarket unit. My reason being that I actually like the factory unit and enjoy the ipod connection a lot.
So go with a small portable unit that you can take from the vehicle when you park, so there's no smash and grab, (which I was a victim of recently)

dnm45227

Reaction score
go for the aftermarket. you can use it in any car yours a friends, makes more sense than buying multiple units for every car you own.

think about it why drop all that cash on a unit you can only use in one type of vehicle and only that vehicle.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to get an aftermarket also to be able to just stick with the stock HU, only I hate the look of aftermarket dash top GPS units. Plus I haven't the slightest idea where to start with them. Which ones are best?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garmin and TomTom will offer the easiest navigation with options right in your face.

Check this place : http://www.rated4stars.com/html/car-gps-reviews.html
although they might be pushing certain models only, they will give you a good idea.
Do not buy anything over $500, because it will be half the price in a year or so, and the features are generally useless (fm receiver / mp3 player / video , etc..)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if I am going to go the aftermarket route, I am going to just go ahead and get a Pioneer AVIC series like I wanted to put in my Charger, but couldn't because of its CANBUS network. Fortunate thing about the Liberty is it does not run on the CANBUS so aftermarket subs and head units are not an issue. I am just going to go with the AVIC N3 I think, rather than buying an RB1 or RB4 and putting the rear seat DVD in. About the same in terms of price and functionality.