Rancho RSX/Bilstein & OME ride quality question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on what the difference is in ride quality for upgraded (Rancho or Bilstein + OME) suspension vs the stock setup?

I’ve seen comments like “rides like a Caddy”, “rides firm but not harsh” and “soooo much better”, but nothing to really explain the difference in feel over stock.

I have 45k on my OEM springs and shocks. From my perspective…
- KJ does tend to nose dive a lot on hard deceleration, and squat back on acceleration.
- Body roll doesn’t seem awful, but it could be better.
- I don’t get the oscillation typical with totally blown shocks (you know, the ones you see on the freeway where a bump takes 5 or 6 iterations for the vehicle to stop bouncing).
- On these amazing (sarcasm) pothole-and-patch-plentiful MI roads, I feel that the suspension is still fairly stiff on harsh bumps – I often wish it was softer in that regard.
- On more smooth “wallowy” bumps and transitions, the suspension feels very soft and floaty.
- I don’t seem to get too much “bucking” front to back yet like you’d have in a Wrangler.
- I do feel like the rear end wants to hop on harsh bumps too.

What do the OME/upgraded shocks really feel like? I’m considering the MD as I don’t have a winch/bumper (and no plans to add) and I am thinking the HD would make the ride that much more stiff and harsh.

I’m assuming it’s good since everyone seems to go that way and I’ve never seen a complaint, but I also want to make sure it’s very comfortable for daily commuting. I have a feeling most of the people who have upgraded run these offroad more than I manage to, and would be willing to live with a more rough ride to facilitate better performance when it’s time to play. I spend 99.9% on the road driving to Detroit and back home every day (55 miles round trip). Understandably, I don’t NEED a lift for my usage, but I’d like the vehicle to be capable when I need it to be. I DO need shocks, so I may as well improve the springs to height/ride quality while I am in there.

Additionally, is there anyone in the SE MI area that has a Rancho RSX (or Bilstein) and OME setup that could take me for a spin? I’d like to see/feel how these things are before to drop a lot of cash on the setup.

Lastly – Rancho vs Bilstein - is one shock better suited to my needs? I know I may not even be able to find the RSX’s anymore, but I can try.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atrus, I think that's the best thing you can do, nobody can tell you how a setup feels, you'll have to experience that yourself. You know where you can try serveral KJ's soon...:D

Hey, I do know a spot where there'll be a lot of KJ's in the next few months...I am going to make an attempt to make it out there!

JBA still has the RSX shocks...

Good to know. Maybe I'll get some on order since I know I'll be putting shocks on no matter what I do.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think Bilstien shocks would really only work on the Stock ride height vehicle. Unless you were planning on ordering their offroad variants?

I'm getting Bilstien for my Stock KJ and hope for a "it's rides great" improvement. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the thread bookmarked at home, but I found somewhere on LOST that a guy got some longer Bilsteins for a lifted KJ. His were the silver line (not the blue/yellow HD line).

I'd imagine, though, that you could get the longer Durango/Dakota HD Bilsteins and fit them on the rear of the KJ. IIRC, they'd need some spacers as they are more narrow.

calbear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the thread bookmarked at home, but I found somewhere on LOST that a guy got some longer Bilsteins for a lifted KJ. His were the silver line (not the blue/yellow HD line).

I'd imagine, though, that you could get the longer Durango/Dakota HD Bilsteins and fit them on the rear of the KJ. IIRC, they'd need some spacers as they are more narrow.

I have a set of Bilstein Durango rears sitting at home. I was planning to put them on this weekend. What kind of spacers do I need? I thought it was an exact fit headscratch.gif

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know Tony - just a standard 12mm washer? One on each side (total of 2 per upper joint), or just one needed?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would be over prepaired and have 2 each per side.. They can't be too expensive if you buy a standard washer. I would be looking for a zinc coated or stainless washer to keep the rusting to a minium.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point - I think I can spring the $.40 a washer to have them on hand.

One more question for you all - if I go Medium OME, is that sufficient enough to require the longer rear shock? In Rancho, that's the RSX17004, correct?

Thanks!!!