Radiator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chitownjohnny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appear to have developed a leak in the radiator in the upper right. I am going to be replacing it tomorrow but here is the question. While the radiator is out should I also just go ahead and replace the thermostat even though I am not having any trouble with the current one.

I have 100,000 on the jeep and not sure if it has ever been replaced.

Also do you really need to remove the belt tensioner as some you tubers have done to get to the therm or just attack it from underneath?

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace it with a Mopar thermostat while you are in there and that is what I did. Very easy to replace. Just remove the lower rad hose and remove the thermostat housing (I believe 2 bolts or so) and install the new one. Only thing I can think of to remember is to align the thermostat bleed valve in the correct position by matching it up with the old one (Very easy). I did not have to remove the tensioner to do mine but I am assuming you have a 3.7L V6 as well.