Radiator questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a couple of questions regarding the radiator. I was doing an oil change today and while i was under the Jeep I noticed a few leaks. One was on the passenger side somewhere around the lower hose/thermostat area. Of course I'm just going to relace both while I'm there. The second leak is on the driver side, at the drain for the radiator. It's dripping out of the drain "spout", I guess you could call it. I tried tightening it a little to see if that would stop the drip, it really didn't seem like it had much tightening to do. It went a very slight amount and then I stopped because I didnt want to break anything. It seemed to have slowed it down slightly. Is there any tips or tricks to getting this to stop leaking or is a whole new radiator needed? Is there any easy way to see if this radiator is the factory Mopar radiator or does it have to be completely removed to see any markings?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it is really the petcock or not but you can swap in a new one.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...4KzCh3-BwjIEAQYASABEgIVjPD_BwE&ad=47584901292

There is an o-ring on them and maybe there's some debris in there or the o-ring is failing. Just opening or pulling the old one may flush any crap out too. Just catch as much of the coolant as you can and put it back in when you're done.

I'd look up top and make sure it isn't running down from the top before you worry about the petcock.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I am fairly certain it is not leaking down from further up, though I cannot guarantee it. I have heard, via the forums, that the upper driver's side is a known leak point. I have looked over the top corner like nobody's business trying to spot a leak up there, I cannot find one. I've let the Jeep run and get to operating temperature/pressure and still have not seen the top leak a single drop. The way the petcock is on my radiator, it goes towards the back of the Jeep, then turns down at a 90* angle. The coolant is coming from inside the turn down, forms a drip, then drips. I feel fairly confident to say the radiator is not leaking from above and draining down, but I will not rule out the possibility that I am either overlooking it or looking in the wrong place.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am going to order upper and lower hoses, new clamps, thermostat and gasket, radiator petcock, and new coolant for the Jeep. I want to go ahead and flush the system and refill with fresh coolant because a) I'm not sure how old the current coolant is and b) I don't know 100% what is in it now. If I'm going to be breaking into the cooling system anyways I would rather just go ahead and start over with the right stuff for peace of mind. This leads me to a couple more questions.

What's the best/proper way to drain the entire system and refill? Use the draincock to drain the radiator? If I remove the lower hose, is this going to drain the system in it's entirety (radiator, motor, reservoir, heater core)? Do I drain with the cap on or off?

Should I put it all back together and fill with straight water, then drain and refill as necessary to get it 100% clear?

Upon refilling, what is the best way to refill to get the most water and the least amount of air in the system? And what's the best way to bleed the air out of the system?

Does Mopar only offer one type of coolant? Or what should I be looking for to make sure I get the right one? I know it's HOAT, but will it say that on the label or do is there a certain part number I should be looking for?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure to do this all correctly the first time. Thanks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does Mopar only offer one type of coolant? Or what should I be looking for to make sure I get the right one? I know it's HOAT, but will it say that on the label or do is there a certain part number I should be looking for?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure to do this all correctly the first time. Thanks.

Not sure on the other stuff, sorry! But for the coolant, get Zerex G05, O'Reilly's, Napa and Advance have it. I'd get enough coolant and water to give you about 3.5 gallons.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Flushing hmmm...don't use tap water, otherwise you will be introducing minerals, which the jeep wont like at all.
Distilled water used in anything relating to cooling, unless you drain the block/ frost plugs...
The dealer has a proper recirculating machine, that flushes correctly.
Fill rad slowly through the removable threaded hex (air bleed) engine side top rad hose, using funnel.
60896[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Then fill the reservoir to cold line is best.
Use HOAT or Zerex G-05 ONLY and Mopar Hoses fit properly & are marked for correct placement & use OEM hose clamps.

Attachments

• BtxQlqh.jpg
    BtxQlqh.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think I would remove the petcock. I just got mine back from the shop for a new Mopar rad and Tstat, had to take it back for a leak and they removed the petcock from the new radiator and it wouldn't seal back in even with a cap put in. Had to get a new rad.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The petcock design they is currently in use on the liberty is horrible, my petcock on the radiator shot out and drained all my coolant almost over heating my jeep. Soon after the radiator began to leak then I installed the all aluminum radiator.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

I was going to buy 2 gallons of coolant, and 2 gallons of distilled water for the final fill. Plus I was going to get enough distilled water to do a fill and drain or two to try to get all of the old stuff out. Is that a solid plan or would it be better to take it to the dealer and have them flush it? I don't necessarily need to flush the system specifically, I just want to get all of the old coolant out before putting new in - I'm not sure how old the current coolant is or if it is HOAT coolant. Figure it's better safe than sorry and I would try to change it out completely.

If you pull the bottom hose, will it drain the block and/or the heater core too?

The hoses, thermostat, hose clamps and coolant will all be Mopar. Is there only one Mopar coolant or do they offer different ones? Want to make sure to get the proper HOAT coolant for the Liberty.

Unfortunately I am 99% sure the Petcock is leaking currently, so I'm wanting to put a new petcock in hoping that it might fix the leak without having to replace the whole radiator. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the radiator is next to come out.

Filling through the bleeder hole on the top radiator hose and the reservoir tank will fill the majority of what was drained? And then you just drive it and keep topping off until the level stops dropping?

Thanks

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies.

I was going to buy 2 gallons of coolant, and 2 gallons of distilled water for the final fill. Plus I was going to get enough distilled water to do a fill and drain or two to try to get all of the old stuff out. Is that a solid plan or would it be better to take it to the dealer and have them flush it? I don't necessarily need to flush the system specifically, I just want to get all of the old coolant out before putting new in - I'm not sure how old the current coolant is or if it is HOAT coolant. Figure it's better safe than sorry and I would try to change it out completely.

If you pull the bottom hose, will it drain the block and/or the heater core too?

The hoses, thermostat, hose clamps and coolant will all be Mopar. Is there only one Mopar coolant or do they offer different ones? Want to make sure to get the proper HOAT coolant for the Liberty.

Unfortunately I am 99% sure the Petcock is leaking currently, so I'm wanting to put a new petcock in hoping that it might fix the leak without having to replace the whole radiator. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the radiator is next to come out.

Filling through the bleeder hole on the top radiator hose and the reservoir tank will fill the majority of what was drained? And then you just drive it and keep topping off until the level stops dropping?

Thanks

Personally I'd take it to the dealer or good shop the t will use the correct fluid. A dealer should. You'll only get a bit out by draining like you plan (petcock or lower rad hose). This thing has a 14 quart capacity so tough to get more than half to 2/3 out. A dealer will have a flush system that will force it all out and probably refill without leaving any air. If you do do this yourself, I'd usually pull the lower rad hose to drain quickly but since your petcock is already leaking I'd just try replacing it first while draining since that's way cheaper and easier than replacing the rad.

I'm sure there are other varieties of approved HOAT but I've only used the Mopar version or Zerex G-05. I can get the Zerex at PepBoys or Advanced Auto around me.

And yes, filling through the bleeder will get most of the system filled and the air out but it'll still require a careful eye for a bit. You'd fill til overflow at the bleeder then tighten the bleeder and top off the reservoir. The start engine and run it or drive it a bit checking frequently. I haven't messed with my 05 yet but did do the rad drain and refill for a few issues with my 02 and never had any trouble getting the air out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The petcock design they is currently in use on the liberty is horrible, my petcock on the radiator shot out and drained all my coolant almost over heating my jeep. Soon after the radiator began to leak then I installed the all aluminum radiator.
I may one day want to go the aluminum route how many $ was it?
Where did you get the aluminum rad from/part # any fitment issues?
Did you do a post about this showing how that went?