Radiator Hose Size....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the hose diameter on the KJ?? The reason i ask is simply this, i wanted to get a block heater installed but i would prefer to just put one in the lower radiator hose instead of the block, easy to get to and install... I've had that one past vehicles i owned and it always worked good since you could get a higher wattage inline one then an in-block model.

Otherwise i was thinking of getting one of the recirculating block heaters that you put in a heater line, its pumps and heats the coolant... Had one of those on a past truck of mine, those are the bees knees if you can afford one, you could literaly plug it in or set a timer and give it a couple hours and go out and turn on the key and have instant heat before you even start the engine, the engine temp gauge would show near operating temp also.

Last resort i will put one in the block but thats a lot more work, though a couple different shops have quoted me an hour or less labor even if i do it myself i still need to drain and replace coolant for any of these options and that adds cost, so just seeing how cheap i could get it done myself.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with those style heaters is until the coolant reaches 195 degrees you will not heat any of the coolant in the engine,just the coolant in the radiator due to the t-stat being closed.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Lower hose is 1-25/32" x 12-1/32"
upper hose is 1-15/32" x 10-27/32"
My understanding is 3.7 has a bypass therm.housing,I have strong flow to tank at cold idle,believe any of those heaters would be OK.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! Going to peruse my local stores and see what is available for the various types.

Another subzero day here, -6F air temp, -22F wind chill right now. She starts right up after cranking a little more than normal, sounds like she cranks over 4-5 times rather than the normal 2-3.. Just want to make it a little easier on it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy am I glad our KJ came with a factory installed block heater!
The engine takes all of 5 minutes to blow toasty warm air out of
the heater.

Yeah no kidding... I wish mine did. I was in there with a flashlight and looking from underneath the last oil change and i don't have one that i can find. I'm surprised because this KJ sold new here in the midwest, and i haven't bought a used 4wd vehicle until now in this part of the country that didn't have it.

Perhaps the last owner didnt drive much in winter... LOL

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yeah no kidding... I wish mine did. I was in there with a flashlight and looking from underneath the last oil change and i don't have one that i can find. I'm surprised because this KJ sold new here in the midwest, and i haven't bought a used 4wd vehicle until now in this part of the country that didn't have it.

Perhaps the last owner didnt drive much in winter... LOL

Just so you know Scott, it would be on the passengers side of the engine and the 110 volt power cord is wire wrapped to to some of the other engines wiring.
I couldn't find the one in our engine at first!
It was well concealed from the factory.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah looking at the installation instruction sheet for the factory block heater i see what freeze plug hole it should be in and i swear its not there. I have to pop the hood and check fluid levels before i make a trip later today, i will have to get my flashlight in there one more time just to be absolutely sure.

I would be surprised though if i missed it the first time, i would be even more surprised if it had it and the previous owner never run the cord out and used it.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think its hidin behind the exhaust manifold....
i was lookin for it also..

i think accessing it from underneath may be th eonly option:confused:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the frost plug location is down on the block towards the rear end, i can see that from underneath and there is no heater there. I went out and checked one more time, no cord coming up anywhere, followed all the harness's etc. Nope no heater.

Well i guess it was an option that not every KJ got!

I'm hoping to get one put in soon though.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
The previous owner of our KJ operated the Jeep in all of Alberta for two winters and never used the block heater once!
The guy claimed that he didn't know it had one. But also said that he never had any issues starting the vehicle in temperatures well below -40° Celsius/-40°Fahrenheit!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, well that makes me feel better that he never had trouble. It sure does crank a lot harder and slower below zero, but she always fires up.

Well i spent about five minutes looking again, i even run my arm down the side of the block and i can feel the frost plug below the exhaust manifold, no heater. On another note i looked again at access to it, piece of cake. If i had that on a lift it would take me longer to drain the coolant then installing the block heater.

jasonw

Reaction score
the thermostat on the 3.7 is on the engine at the bottom hose....a heater in the hose would be worthless.

A magnet block heater would be easier....but don't ask me...I am in Texas.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thermostat on the 3.7 is on the engine at the bottom hose....a heater in the hose would be worthless.

A magnet block heater would be easier....but don't ask me...I am in Texas.

Yeah i kinda figured that after tjkj's comment, you would have to heat the coolant in the hose and rad hot enough to open the thermostat before you would be heating up the engine, so thats no good.

And i doubt putting it in the top hose would do any good since heat rises.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Yep.. Oil warmer would be nice...

One of these(As an example) might do the trick:
http://www.princessauto.com/truck-t...300-watt-magnetic-heater?keyword=block+heater
Although a bit of a pain in the rear to have to stick it on the oil pan every evening!

Oh, and for what it's worth Scott...
Today I called the local Chrysler dealership I always deal with and asked them how much they charge to install a block heater in a 2003 KJ and the price including the block heater is $250.00

Cheers
Ry'

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.princessauto.com/truck-t...300-watt-magnetic-heater?keyword=block+heater
Although a bit of a pain in the rear to have to stick it on the oil pan every evening!

Today I called the local Chrysler dealership I always deal with and asked them how much they charge to install a block heater in a 2003 KJ and the price including the block heater is $250.00

Cheers
Ry'

Thats pretty close to here then, i was quoted $190 by a few that i called. The magnetic one would be a pain. I saw on a tv show the other day that they make an oil pan heater thats a large adhesive pad, you have to clean the oil pan and then you stick this pad on thats the heater element. Thing of it is i would probably put it in the shop on the lift to do that anyway, and the cost is about the same as the block heater, so i might as well do that!

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Cheers
Ry'
What a ripoff. I had to replace mine this summer because it was leaking. Bought a new one for $35 and put it in myself in about 45 minutes which includes draining the antifreeze, removing and installing the block heater and filling the rad again....all from lying on the ground under the jeep.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
What a ripoff. I had to replace mine this summer because it was leaking. Bought a new one for $35 and put it in myself in about 45 minutes which includes draining the antifreeze, removing and installing the block heater and filling the rad again....all from lying on the ground under the jeep.

It's only a "Rip off" if you have the tools and ability to do it yourself!