Radiator fan question (oe or aftermarket?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My electric fan died on me while climbing a trail and the engine heated up quickly (a/c was on and it wasn't hot out, just warm). Turned around, coasted downhill in neutral letting air flow through radiator and let it sit while troubleshooting. Fan is getting power and will move some air when tapped lovingly with long screwdriver on motor so we let it cool with hood open and take freeways home with no incident.

My question is if I should get an oe replacement for $95 plus shipping from rockauto, get the HD upgrade in the for sale forum for $200, or get an aftermarket one?

I searched the forum and didn't find an answer to my question. Oh, I do not tow anything except my giant dogs (13lb dachshund mix and 24lb maltese mix) and they stay in the back of the kj :D

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try to fit an after market electric
they key is to find one that will move more CFM than the OEM fan
which moves some air

Yea. I found some on summit that flowed a lot of air but were only 12" and the factory fan is 16" with a shroud that covers the entire 20x20 radiator. I am trying to take the fan blades off to check the motor brushes but the retaining clip is very hard for me to get off with what little tools I have here at the apt.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. I found some on summit that flowed a lot of air but were only 12" and the factory fan is 16" with a shroud that covers the entire 20x20 radiator. I am trying to take the fan blades off to check the motor brushes but the retaining clip is very hard for me to get off with what little tools I have here at the apt.

you need the shroud
look for a 16" Flex-a-lite fan
I think they have one that is generic and moves something like 3000+ CFM

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, took the fan to my parents where my brother has more than a tool set from target, got the motor out and the back cover off, gave it a good dose of wd40, greased the only bushing I could get to without taking the motor completely apart and put it back together. 1A 12V would spin it at a decent speed with the back cover off by itself, but with the back cover on it would require a touch of help to get going then it would spin it. 20A 12V spun it just fine.
Put it back together, put it in the jeep, turned a/c on to kick fan on and it blows more air now than it has since I owned it. It may be a temporary fix, it may have cleaned the contacts and bushings from the water I may have put it through every time I go to Hollister Hills, or it may be my familys luck with having things work after taking them apart and putting them back together. Either way, cleaning and greasing worked for me.