Radiator - can it be repaired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty Sport 3.7.
I found a tiny, tiny pinhole leak on the left top side of the plastic part of the radiator. Is it possible to fix at a Radiator Shop?

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking if this is possible. Could I drill a larger hole and tap it with a sheet metal screw with some sealant on it?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 ...radiators aren't that expensive, and they're easy to install. There's a lot of pressure going through it...I wouldn't be surprised if you blew that screw right out of it, especially threading it into plastic.

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jb water weld. can be applied to wet surface and hardens like steel. fantastic product. i fixed a pinhole in my radiator like you had with it and still holding strong

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repairs to plastic tanks on radiators never last as they expand and contract rapidly.Only copper radiators can be repaired.

Just replace and save alot of headaches down the road.When any repair fails it can fail badly which may end up costing you a engine.A couple of hundred dollars is better then a couple of thousand dollars.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a new one for $63.00 on eBay, free shipping, over 70000 transactions with
97.9 % feedback.

Any heads up on the R&R.

Thanks!

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97.9 % feedback.

Any heads up on the R&R.

Thanks!

I tend to go with the logic that if it seems to good to be true it probably is...but hopefully it's really new and not used/repackaged. As far as the install goes, if it has nuts that need to be inserted into slots in the plastic tank, make sure you do it before you install the radiator. Pain to try to do it once its in, and you have nothing to thread into otherwise. Also don't re-use and spring clamps, buy new flathead tighten hose clamps. Also advisable to do your upper and lower hoses at the same time. Lastly, make sure you use HOAT coolant! And not a bad idea to flush the system while you have it all apart anyway. Overall it's pretty easy and simple.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97.9 % feedback.

Any heads up on the R&R.

Thanks!
Good luck,you'll need it.Any besides OEM are junk,I know I've been through alot of them and sadly the OEM in mine right now has outlasted 5 aftermarket radiators combined.

For R&R,remove the battery tray,makes it a whole lot easier.

Latest posts

Members online