Rack and pinion replacement video?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddyo

Reaction score
My '03 Liberty is making all kinds of creaking and popping noises when starting from a stop, stopping, turning, over bumps, etc. Dealer indicates my issues are with my tie rods, ball joints and rack and pinion... They want about $2500 to fix. Me no likey. I bought all the parts to do it myself, but I'm kinda scared about taking on so much. Does anyone have a video of a rack and pinion replacement on a Liberty they can share? Thanks in advance!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be one long vid.It takes about 3-4 hours to replace the R&P gear in a KJ if you know the easy way,alot longer if doing it by the book.It's not hard just gotta squeeze it through some tight spaces gently.Make sure you lock the steering wheel in place with some bungi cords or ratchet strap so it does not move or you can damage the clock spring for the airbag.

Which ball joints? The lowers are a recalled part and should be free replacement at the dealership.The uppers are only recalled for about 40,000 KJ's depending on your location and year of KJ.The outer tie rods are super easy,the inners come with the new R&P.You will need a alignment afterwards no matter what and not something you can "get close" in your driveway.

CALIKJ

Reaction score
IM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND HAVING THE HARDEST TIME FINDING MY WAY AROUND. BUT IM CURRENTLY REPLACING MY RACK AND PINION ON MY 02 KJ 4WD. I HAVE IT ON JACK STANDS ALREADY WITH WHEELS OFF. HOWEVER THE 21 MM BOLTS ON MY TIE ROD ARE SEIZED AND RUSTED. THEY WILL NOT COME OFF WITH MY IMPACT. NEXT IM GOING TO TRY A BREAKER BAR AND SOME HEAT. SHOULD I avoid damaging the clock spring by A) TRY REMOVING THE tie rod bolts WITH THE BREAKER BAR AND A CHEATER BAR AND USE FULL FORCE UNTIL THEY COME OFF. OR B) SHOULD I REMOVE THE 13MM BOLT THAT CONNECTS THE STEERING SHAFT TO THE RACK AND PINION FIRST AND LIGHTLY HAMMER TAP THE SHAFT FREE AND THEN PROCEED TO LOOSEN THE 21MM TIE ROD BOLTS WITH FULL FORCE? PLEASE HELP THANKS

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can't damage the clock spring like that - really the only way to damage it is to have the steering shaft disconnected and let it spin freely. Just leave the steering shaft connected for now and when you do disconnect it, secure the steering wheel with bungee cords.

CALIKJ

Reaction score
you can't damage the clock spring like that - really the only way to damage it is to have the steering shaft disconnected and let it spin freely. Just leave the steering shaft connected for now and when you do disconnect it, secure the steering wheel with bungee cords.

thanks a ton appreciate it !

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't damage the clock spring like that - really the only way to damage it is to have the steering shaft disconnected and let it spin freely. Just leave the steering shaft connected for now and when you do disconnect it, secure the steering wheel with bungee cords.
Or just use the seat belt through the wheel.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also you brought back a 6 year old thread and posted in 3 others about the same thing. Just start a new one next time without using the capslock key.

CALIKJ

Reaction score
Also you brought back a 6 year old thread and posted in 3 others about the same thing. Just start a new one next time without using the capslock key.

sorry brother I'm new to this forum. made it just a few days ago having a hard time figure this out http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/images/smilies/signs75.gif

one last question. I totally had my head up my ass when i was wrenching on the new rack and pinion trying to rush things. I removed the smaller 13mm hoses on the new rack to try and make room to fit the plastic oil drain channel of the libby (stupid mistake) do i now have to replace the o-rings before putting them back in?

this liberty might be the death of me http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/images/smilies/favorites68.gif

CALIKJ

Reaction score

one last question. I totally had my head up my ass when i was wrenching on the new rack and pinion trying to rush things. I removed the smaller 13mm hoses on the new rack to try and make room to fit the plastic oil drain channel of the libby (stupid mistake) do i now have to replace the o-rings before putting them back in?

this liberty might be the death of me http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/images/s...avorites68.gif

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I replaced the rings on the rack I got at Napa with Mopar ones. Aftermarket ones seem to leak, I never got a leak with Mopar ones.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.