Rack and pinion leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outdoorsy

Reaction score
It's got a slow leak, how much longer do you think I have before it would need to be changed? Garage is asking for $900 to fix it.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the system leaks? How much fluid do you lose in how long?

Outdoorsy

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

About this much daily. Been like this for at least 3 months.

Mechanic says I can continue driving it until it really pours out. I guess until then I need to add power steering fluid from time to time.

Last edited:

Outdoorsy

Reaction score
What do you think about Power Steering Stop Leak? I guess I have nothing to lose, right?

You must be registered for see images attach

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its the rack leaking as these hoses tend to leak out like that due to age

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd replace the high pressure hose. Those are known to weep, mine did for years.

The rack could also be leaking, but if it's not clunking yet I'd just top it up as needed.

CALIKJ

Reaction score
tie rod bolts

I'd replace the high pressure hose. Those are known to weep, mine did for years.

The rack could also be leaking, but if it's not clunking yet I'd just top it up as needed.

IM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND HAVING THE HARDEST TIME FINDING MY WAY AROUND. BUT IM CURRENTLY REPLACING MY RACK AND PINION ON MY 02 KJ 4WD. I HAVE IT ON JACK STANDS ALREADY WITH WHEELS OFF. HOWEVER THE 21 MM BOLTS ON MY TIE ROD ARE SEIZED AND RUSTED. THEY WILL NOT COME OFF WITH MY IMPACT. NEXT IM GOING TO TRY A BREAKER BAR AND SOME HEAT. SHOULD I avoid damaging the clock spring by A) TRY REMOVING THE tie rod bolts WITH THE BREAKER BAR AND A CHEATER BAR AND USE FULL FORCE UNTIL THEY COME OFF. OR B) SHOULD I REMOVE THE 13MM BOLT THAT CONNECTS THE STEERING SHAFT TO THE RACK AND PINION FIRST AND LIGHTLY HAMMER TAP THE SHAFT FREE AND THEN PROCEED TO LOOSEN THE 21MM TIE ROD BOLTS WITH FULL FORCE? PLEASE HELP THANKS

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND HAVING THE HARDEST TIME FINDING MY WAY AROUND. BUT IM CURRENTLY REPLACING MY RACK AND PINION ON MY 02 KJ 4WD. I HAVE IT ON JACK STANDS ALREADY WITH WHEELS OFF. HOWEVER THE 21 MM BOLTS ON MY TIE ROD ARE SEIZED AND RUSTED. THEY WILL NOT COME OFF WITH MY IMPACT. NEXT IM GOING TO TRY A BREAKER BAR AND SOME HEAT. SHOULD I avoid damaging the clock spring by A) TRY REMOVING THE tie rod bolts WITH THE BREAKER BAR AND A CHEATER BAR AND USE FULL FORCE UNTIL THEY COME OFF. OR B) SHOULD I REMOVE THE 13MM BOLT THAT CONNECTS THE STEERING SHAFT TO THE RACK AND PINION FIRST AND LIGHTLY HAMMER TAP THE SHAFT FREE AND THEN PROCEED TO LOOSEN THE 21MM TIE ROD BOLTS WITH FULL FORCE? PLEASE HELP THANKS
Stop yelling at us

Latest posts

Members online