Rack and pinion leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I have an 03 Liberty Renegade with about 95k on it. Auto, 4wd, yadda, yadda....

Well, it's my g/f's vehicle and she wanted me to give it a look over since I'll be gone for awhile.

I've found the rack and pinion to be leaking from the boots on both sides near the rack.

There is VERY little info about this on the web. Is this not just a normal inner/outer tie rod end setup?

I need some input on this... like fast!

DeCaff2007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rack is leaking out of those boots you need a new R&P steering gear,no seals offered to the general public.

Rock auto offers them.

Steering gear? You mean steering rack?

What's R&P?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just Googled it. I REEEAALLLYYYY don't want to replace the whole frikkin rack but it looks like I'm headed that route. I hope I can get it done in less than 2 days b/c that's all the time I have before I leave for a business trip.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not hard,I replaced one at MOAB a few years ago on another KJ in a camp ground.Took about 4 hours or so then off for a alignment.Make sure you use bungi cords or something to lock the steering wheel in place before unbolting it from the R&P,otherwise your going to have to buy a new clockspring and those ain't cheap either.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.