Question to whoever has 235 85 16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've recently painted my stock steely wheels painted glossy black. Right now, I have 245/75/16's on 16x8 ally rims with 4.5 inch backspacing. I'm working my way up to fit 235/85/16 tires all the way round. My aftermarket rims are surprisingly ok so far for 6 months I've had considering width and backspacing. Still, I'm hoping to put my old steelies back on.

--------------------------------------------------
Question to people who has these tires:

What rims are you putting these tires on? Stock steelies, or alloys?
What's your experience with these tires?

...and yes I need at least 4" lift and yes I would need to regear to 4.10 afterward.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
8 inch is too wide of course for the 235-85-16s, stock wheels or 7 inch wide will work great. I would go for wheels that have 4 inches of backspacing and 7 inches wide. Most cases it seems that you'll have rubbing without spacers or correct backspaced wheels. Personally don't like spacers but..........
and yes I would get regeared BEFORE you go to 4 inches of lift and new tires

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Would stock steelies be fine as they are 7 inches wide and 4.5 backspace? I REALLY want to avoid spacers on suv though I've seen it done on bmw x5 with 24 inch rims. I hate those things.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh damn, i was way off. So, i might actually need those spacers after all... I already have my rims painted..

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of 235/85R16 on 7" wide wheels. Yes, its a factory pairing is many cases, and shows as compatible in tire catalogs.... but its difficult to install (i.e. seat the bead), doesn't look right, and puts the wheel lip right out in harms way. I got the 245/75R16s because they fit the wheels better. 265/75R16 is also a good fit.

My winter treads are 235/75R15 on some 70s/80s Dodge truck steel wheels (15x7). Their backspacing is less, so I don't use the 1¼" spacers with these. I may look at 31x10.50R15 for these wheels in the future.

Do you have a manual trans or auto? If its manual, re-gearing isn't the necessity it seems be with the auto. Currently running 3.55 gears and the larger tires... with no desire/need to regear. The speedo is actually more accurate now than stock.

HTH

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everytime I read someone saying that regearing isn't really needed with a manual trans I have to laugh. I remember a few who said the same thing until they finlayy did and were surprised they could actually use 5th or 6th and would maintain speed going up hills without downshifting.
Of course I said the same thing back in the 70s when I started running 38s on my F150, regeared and WOW what a difference

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everytime I read someone saying that regearing isn't really needed with a manual trans I have to laugh. I remember a few who said the same thing until they finlayy did and were surprised they could actually use 5th or 6th and would maintain speed going up hills without downshifting.
Of course I said the same thing back in the 70s when I started running 38s on my F150, regeared and WOW what a difference

Laugh all you like. Whether or not I can hold 6th on all highway conditions is not worth even the cost of one set of gears let alone two, plus install. My 2 cents.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough riding, stiff sidewall skinny tires ain't my choice for anything but a 1 ton with duals, but to each his own.

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough riding, stiff sidewall skinny tires ain't my choice for anything but a 1 ton with duals, but to each his own.

Too many different sidewall variations even within a 235/85R16E to make a blanket statement. A Michelin touring tire has a plush sidewall compared to say a Toyo M55.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many different sidewall variations even within a 235/85R16E to make a blanket statement. A Michelin touring tire has a plush sidewall compared to say a Toyo M55.

Just a poor, dumb, hillbilly, don't even have a high school diploma. Glad there's such internet intelligence to guide me in the world of tires.

Bob