Question on towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say I was to tow a guy with cheap quality tow hooks and the guy’s hook snaps off (or bend out). Is there a chance the hook on my towing strap can sling shot at me and shatter my windows? The brand of my strap is a 25-foot Highland.

The thought just crossed my mind as I showed a co-worker the footage of the Jeep towing a Hummer off the tree stump and he asked, “What if the hook snaps of and the hook slingshots right into the guy’s windshield?” I said, “Those hooks on the strap are so heavy they’d hit the ground first before anything.” I just wanted to confirm before some day my co-worker said, “I told you!”

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
dunno if u read the stuff w/ that video..but a KJ tried to tow him out the first time....he just had hooks.....and it was deemed too dangerous, so the wrangler that u see in the video did the deed. he had shackles i think...

anyway...yes..that could be dangerous...not too keen on towing too much...but I have seen some ppl put like a rag or like heavy cloth on the strap......so i guess when it does snap..the wieght on the rag will bog it down...or something...

sorry if i dont make much sense..kinda buzzed

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES, it can happen. Even thought that hook weighs alot, it can go flying. People get killed by flying tow hooks, be very careful when pulling people out with crappy tow hooks. The libbys tow hooks are rated at 5k each. Ive got a 3' tow stap to put between the two hooks so i have 10k. Then i put my other strap through the 3'.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, I ain't ever towing anyone's vehicle...unless it's a Jeep. O:)

Members online

No members online now.