Question for CRD Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to ask, how quiet is the little torque monster?

I have visions of an ex-girlfriend's diesel VW Rabbit running through my head. I just wonder how friendly this is in the passenger compartment. I wonder about long term vibrations in the cabin well.

Now don't all gang up on me at once. I have nothing against the CRD, just wonder how it is treating you all so far.

As for me, I would love to see the 4.7L in the Liberty. [-o<

Old Navy

Reaction score
Quite and smooth running on B10 50 cetane fuel.

Solid as a rock at 110 mph, and will leave 90% of the gassers at the light when it changes. Wife is averaging 20 to 22 mpg in town. We have had two road trips, one at 400 mile point and averaged 28 mph at 73 on the interstate. Second road trip was at 3600 miles and the same trip at same speeds got us 31 mpg, so we are well pleased.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar experience as Old Navy but slightly more economical (mines a 2.5 CRD manual). I'm very pleased with it!

Ian

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the most quiet diesel engine I've ever seen. And I've been around a TON of diesels all my life. Personally, I've been trying to do everything I can to make mine sound more like a real diesel. The sound is 50% of the "cool factor" of diesel ownership.

The reason you'll never see the 4.7L in the Liberty....it gets LITERALLY HALF the mileage the CRD gets, and makes exactly the same amount of torque. Not a very good trade-off, is it?

Old Navy

Reaction score
Put a Flowmaster 40 on the CRD and let the MPG's go up and the EGT's go down, with little change in exhaust sound. :-$

Or you can straight pipe the CRD and enjoy the true sound of a diesel. \:D/

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did straight pipe mine but it was a little too obnoxious for the wife so I had to put a Magnaflow on here. I like it so far. I think my new tires killed my mileage more than anything. Just got a best of 24.5 mpg on the way home from Florida last weekend. I want as much diesel noise as I can get with as little tailpipe noise as I can get. I'm picky..huh? O:)

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the question was about the turbo?

I can't hear mine kick in at all but I can feel it, especially if I am not gentle in pulling away at an intersection. It does KICK in.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason you'll never see the 4.7L in the Liberty....it gets LITERALLY HALF the mileage the CRD gets, and makes exactly the same amount of torque. Not a very good trade-off, is it?

Ok, that and the fact it would be a little too much for the front suspension currently and not practical, but would it get up and go! Had a 4.7 in my 01 Durango and loved it. I got avg 15mpg in town and 18mpg on the highway out of my 4.7 with 79,000 miles on it. No problems and a strong running little motor.

Glad to hear the reports on the CRD, I will have to look at them next time I'm at the dealer. They didn't have any available yet when I picked up my 05 Libby's.

I get tired of the "rattle" of a diesel, but really like the torque. Where does the main power band seem to fall on the CRD?

Old Navy

Reaction score
Peak power is from 1800 rpm to about 4200 rpm. It produces more torque at idle then the 4.7 does at half throttle.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll bet the CRD weighs as much as the 4.7L actually. The 4.7L size might be the one thing keeping it from physically working in a KJ but I don't know...it's really not that big of an engine.

I had the 4.7L in the Dodge truck that I traded for this CRD Libby. It was underpowered for the truck, but I admit the truck weighed 1,000 lbs. more than this KJ. I also got 12 miles per gallon no matter how I drove it, and this CRD is getting low 20s, literally double the mileage. Also, the 4.7L had to constantly downshift, upshift, downshift, upshift, etc. to maintain speed. The CRD (with the same transmission) never shifts once I get up to speed. This is because the 4.7L makes 295 lb/ft of torque, but that's at 3,500 RPM or something crazy like that. The CRD makes 295 lb/ft at 1,800 RPM and that is where most people cruise which makes the CRD much easier and more enjoyable to drive.

I love my CRD. The CRD should be an option on all Chrysler SUVs/trucks in my opinion.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All engines today are like that. The 4.0 was the last engine to be lower in the power band. I think the 3.7 gets it at around 4200. HP comes in at 4600.

jeffer

Reaction score
I've actually owned a couple of those VW Rabbit diesels. There's really no comparison. I remember driving in the bunny and the rear view mirror being so blurry from the rattling that you'd get a headache (like looking through someone elses eyeglasses.)
Now, I actually like the diesel clatter, just didn't always like wondering whether the bunny would start when it was zero out. The CRD is very tame inside and out in my opinion. I agree with many others here that I wish the engine noise were more pronounced.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DougBenn said:
Been wanting to ask, how quiet is the little torque monster?

The CRD is not too much louder than the 3.7L at cruising speeds. At idle, especially on a cold engine in colder temperatures, the clanging is a little louder until the coolant and oil come up to temperature.
There's lots of sound deadening material underhood and under the front part of the floorpan that seem to keep the noise to an acceptable level in my opinion. It's still quieter than my 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD, but it has 5.9L and six-in-a-row vs. 2.8L and four-in-a-row.
Greg

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's still quieter than my 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD, but it has 5.9L and six-in-a-row

I have driven OTR Tractors quieter then that! LoL! O:)

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember driving in the bunny and the rear view mirror being so blurry from the rattling that you'd get a headache

LoL, That's what I remember most too! That and the dash rattling and vibrating apart.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 CRD and love it. diesel rattel at idle but once the common rail injection kicks in it hushes up which is what the high injection pessure Common rail diesles do,, about 20,000psi injection pressure! this quiets the sucker down fast when it throttles up!

my dad has an old cummins diesel 2001, you cant hardly talk on the phone in that car even when its steaming down the road! CRD.. no problem.

Turbo whiiishhhh is about avg. my TDI jetta is about as loud.

I too had a 4.7L V8 dodge, w/ that lame ****** in it, i really hated the auto ****** in it! I REALLY HATED IT! =)

w/ the diesel torque, it pans out ok tho, still dont automatics tho, but w/ the CRD it was the only option....

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold the CRD will rattle at you till it warms up, than it's almost unnoticable in town in or out of the rig (just a slight diesel knock , more like a burr), and virtually gone at freeway speeds.