Question about turning while in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMadMonk

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty, and now that the snow is here, I have about a 1/2 mile gravel (and snow) road to travel before I get to a paved road. I put it in 4WD (part-time), and drive pretty slowly (10-15 mph) out the gravel & snow covered road just fine, at which point I stop and wait for no traffic before turning onto the main paved road (which is clear of snow and ice). As soon as I start moving forward and making this turn, (I stay in 4WD to get me off the gravel road), it feels like the Liberty doesn't know whether it is in 4WD or 2WD; (I'm still going very slowly at this point) It feels like the front and rear axles are fighting each other, or moving at different speeds. Giving a rough front-and-back sort of feeling.

Any ideas what this could be? Is it just "a jeep thing"? It is a 2005 Liberty with ~3800 miles on it.

Thanks.

P4M

Reaction score
4wd

Part-time 4WD, all the wheels spin the same.

Full-time 4WD, all the wheels spin independantly.

I think what you are experiancing is from all the wheels spinning exactly the same. This is normal for a 4WD in this mode. If you would like better handling use Full-Time 4WD. There is quite a difference. My old Isuzu Rodeo only had part-time mode and I noticed that handling issue all the time.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TheMadMonk said:
I have a 2005 Liberty, and now that the snow is here, I have about a 1/2 mile gravel (and snow) road to travel before I get to a paved road. I put it in 4WD (part-time), and drive pretty slowly (10-15 mph) out the gravel & snow covered road just fine, at which point I stop and wait for no traffic before turning onto the main paved road (which is clear of snow and ice). As soon as I start moving forward and making this turn, (I stay in 4WD to get me off the gravel road), it feels like the Liberty doesn't know whether it is in 4WD or 2WD; (I'm still going very slowly at this point) It feels like the front and rear axles are fighting each other, or moving at different speeds. Giving a rough front-and-back sort of feeling.

Any ideas what this could be? Is it just "a jeep thing"? It is a 2005 Liberty with ~3800 miles on it.

Thanks.

Because with part time (Command Trac) 4wd the transfer case sends equal power to the front and rear axles. When you are turning, the front axle has a longer radius to travel than the rear axle, and the drive train is "winding up". Hence the jerky motion of the transfer case trying to turn the axles at the same speed. Not a good thing to do, slip it out of 4wd just before hitting the pavement.

TheMadMonk

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I'm really not sure that is what is happening, but I'll see if that makes any difference; it really seems to be happening before I am even on the paved road, and before I am really turning the wheels very far at all.

Just so I know, what is the proper way to get into Full-Time 4wd? I looked in the manual, and it didn't really explain it very well. Thanks.

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it's your limited slip diff. Mine does the same thing.

BTW, if you have a renegade, you probably don't have full time 4wd. there would be a selection for it on the shifter, clear as day. Its definitely not a standard option on the renny, if it is even available at all on that trim level.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said, just take your foot of the gas before getting to the paved road, put it back in 2WD, and give is some gas and make your turn. You should be okay. \:D/

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
binding.....
is another word..not so much as the front and rear axles fighting...it's the inner wheels vs the outer...inner wheels on a turn has less revolutions as the outer wheels....and if ur in 4PT....all wheels are forced to rotate all at the same time....and since all 4 wheels are being forced to go all at the same rate..the jeep feels as if it doesnt want to move....

difference between having AWD or selec-trac.....all 4 wheels can turn at variou speeds, and a diff sends power to whichever wheel needs it....unlike 4WD or 4-Hi, power goes into all 4 wheels all at the same time....

just get out of 4-hi before u get into dry pavement..u should be ok....
and..yeah..dont do it.....repairs will cost more than an arm and a leg

TheMadMonk

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I guess I don't have Full Time 4WD; I don't see anything on the shifter listed as such.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TheMadMonk said:
Thanks for the tips. I guess I don't have Full Time 4WD; I don't see anything on the shifter listed as such.

Command-Trac just has part-time.
Selec-Trac has part-time and full-time (like all wheel drive).

My KJ has the selec, and my TJ has the command.

P4M

Reaction score
Renny with Selec-Trac

I have a 2004 Renegade, it has Select-Trac with full-time 4WD.

Makes a big difference in handling in the winter.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love selec-trac. Engage the full-time, and forget about it on winter roads. But it has brought down the mpg by 2 or 3 I'd say! I just filled up and the EVIC read 16, where it usually is in the 18's. =D>