Question about KJ and 4x4 with pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just having a few questions as i'm a major noobie. I went offroading yesterday and I realize I do not fully understand the 4x4 system. I get what part time is and what full time is...but...

(obviously I have an auto) I do not know what the parameters are to what I can use. I was on a few trails yesterday and I had to take advantage of the 4x4 system. Now, is it part time or full time I want to stay away from when hitting solid area? Or both?

And what would constitute solid area? Just pavement? Rocky area? Slight dirt?

I got unstuck a few times when using 4 low, and then once I did, hit some regular solid dirt for a few feet. Is that going to damage my 4x4?

Oh and last question, how do you shift out of 4 low? I put it in neutral, and follow the reading...but it always seems to make a crackling noise when I do, and I can feel it in the transfer case...am i hurting it?

Thanks guys.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(obviously I have an auto) I do not know what the parameters are to what I can use. I was on a few trails yesterday and I had to take advantage of the 4x4 system. Now, is it part time or full time I want to stay away from when hitting solid area? Or both?

You don't want to be on hard surfaces in Part time. It's just that - you use it part of the time. Full time, you put it in for forget it, i.e. you can use it all (full) of the time. The other way to remember is green and yellow indicator lights on the dash - green, you're good to go anywhere, yellow you have to be cautious and use it on surfaces with less traction.

And what would constitute solid area? Just pavement? Rocky area? Slight dirt?

Any surface that will let the wheel slip relatively easy - dirt, even hard packed, typically lets this happen. Pavement, asphault does not. It's more of an experience thing. Pay attention to your rig, and make sure you aren't getting driveline binding. You'll know if it's binding badly!

I got unstuck a few times when using 4 low, and then once I did, hit some regular solid dirt for a few feet. Is that going to damage my 4x4?

No, it shouldn't, but be careful - you DO NOT want to have wheels spinning and then have it grab a surface with good traction - you'll break your front differential housing. This is a weak point on the KJ.

Oh and last question, how do you shift out of 4 low? I put it in neutral, and follow the reading...but it always seems to make a crackling noise when I do, and I can feel it in the transfer case...am i hurting it?

Should be moving at about 3-5mph and put the KJ in Neutral. It should still be moving. You then move the lever. I am still not that great at this as I tend to grind it and it makes me cringe. I actually never really use 4-Lo, haven't really needed it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
From 4 Low with wheels straight, coming out, I am rolling slowly forward, ****** into N, then push down on lever to return to 2 WD. No noise or griding sounds should happen. Return ****** to Drive then.
Friction modifiers can break down so: Check to ensure transfer case is topped up and consider getting the transfer case ATF+4 fluid drained and refilled if noise is present.
It is a good idea to engage the 4x4 modes once a week to keep the fluid working inside the T-case.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Full time you can use on hard surfaces like pavement, since the differential inside the transfer case allows for varying wheel speeds.

4hi is for low traction situations, like snow and dirt. The front and rear axles are locked together and turn at the same speed (this is not the same as a locking differential in the axle, though-that will give you extra mobility)

4lo is the same as 4hi, only a MUCH lower gear ratio. This is used for "srs bidness"

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Markus

Sounds like you've got the NP242. Full time engages a differential within the Tcase and allows application of torque to the front wheels without driveline binding. It's like AWD and you can use it all of the time. Part time locks the differential within the Tcase and splits torque almost evenly between the front and rear wheels. Use only on surfaces that will permit wheelspin/slip. Employing the Part Time selection on a hard dry surface will cause driveline binding and has the potential to damage the KJ's drivetrain.

The labelling of the Part-Time and Full-Time is an oxymoron. When in Full-time, the 4x4 system operates parttime and when in Part-Time the system is fulltime four wheel drive.

As for the noise when shifting out of 4Lo, consider it normal. There's a big freaking shift fork in the tcase that moves to engage/dissengage the reduction gearing and it's right under the floor by the seat. Just make certain that you are carrying some forward/backward momentum when shifting. Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.

Ian

Edit.... Why am I always last to the party? There were no posts when I started typing my reply, then whammy, there I go again, last in line.

Last edited:

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I will have pics in a few minutes, photobucket is not doing me well.

And thanks guys for the answers, they have given me a much better understanding

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I will have pics in a few minutes, photobucket is not doing me well.

And thanks guys for the answers, they have given me a much better understanding

Sweet, I figured all of us posting at once would do nothing but seriously F*** you up.:D

Markus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is how I handle off roading
when I hit the trails it is all 4lo
I never shift out of low until I am going home
if I need a little speed I simple shift the trans from
1 to D
oh and the trans is almost always in 1st gear
I have wheeled every thing from deep mud to rocks that
give as much traction as a paved road and after 5 years
my Jeep runs fine ,beat up, scratched, bent and not so good looking
but still functional
the only thing I "switch" when off road is the ARB locker up front

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad tires can afect the shifting of the T case also
So I would change the fluid and get some good meats on it and see how that works for ya.
Nice Pictures

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others said, unless you know the fluids were changed recently it is a good idea to drain and fill the front and rear diffs, the transfer case, engine oil and filter, and depending on the mileage the ****** fluid & filter.

Nice pictures, by the way.