Put an Xbox / Xbox 360 in your vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I did this with my avenger, and all it needs is a power button wired to the controller, and some other equipment. Xboxs are $40.00 now at your local exchange or used video game place. They have 8Gb of space stock, with music ripping to HDD capabilities from the original Dashboard.

I used a modded one of course, to hold all my MP3s, and to be able to rip CDs to the hard disk on the go. 40GB is plenty if you do not plan on using an extensive video library. Both my modded ones have 250GB drives, overkill for this application. One will be going into my Jeep, with a 80GB drive when weather permits the install.

The Xbox A/V Cable has RCA connectors,VIDEO, & Audio L/R. There is no need for the Advance A/V pack, or HD Pack.

IF using a modded console: Use Xbox Media Center (available from www.eurasia.nu)

IF using an OEM - use the built in features, of course.

You will need:
* 300 Watt power inverter & hook-ups.
* 5" or better LCD screen (with composite video in)
* Method of playing the audio. You can use a RF modulator, Cassette Adapter, or aux port; whatever you have available.
* Soldering Equipment & Solder.
* Momentary ON Micro Push-button switch (radio shack)
* Few inches of jumper wire for switch (wire wrap wire is good).

See this link to wire the controller (modify) and for other information:
http://xbox-scene.com/articles/power-button-controller.php
That link explains how to in stall the switch, and modify one of your controller ports (of four) inside Xbox for use with that power button.

Mount the Xbox where you want it.
> I used four 1" foam (not Styrofoam) legs so it can bounce around and absorb shock, instead of taking hard hits from bumps. I double sticky tapped the top of the foam legs to the XBox, and the bottom of the legs to a 1/4" piece of plywood cut to fit.

Mount the controller where you can access it.
> If you can make a pedestal or other mount to keep it stationary.

Mount & supply power to your LCD Screen
> Plug in A/V cable (Video only)

Mount & power your Inverter
Plug the power cable into the Inverter & then into Xbox
Plug & Run the A/V cable to all the necessary ports & audio devices.

You should rig up some kind of remote controllable way to turn the inverter ON and OFF. Mine just came on when I started the car, so I could turn the Xbox on, anytime the key was in the ACCY or RUN position.

Turn on the Inverter, LCD, Audio Device, and press the power button on the controller, and there you go.

You can use an RCA to PHONO adapter for a Cassette adapter, or if your after market radio has an Aux in port.

IF you want WiFi while in front of your house to download music on the fly, you need a wireless gaming adapter, and a better power inverter to power it. You can set your PC up as a file/media server, so you can use it to put stuff on your Xbox from within range of your WiFi broadcast.

Using Xbox 360:
* You need a more powerful inverter.
* No controller modification required, USB or Wireless; the controllers already have the center (X) button for powering on and off.
* Has a USB powered WiFi adapter available.
* Less work.

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I just got an Xbox360 20GB system (Broken dvd drive, no controllers) for $30.00! I may just mount this in there for the heck of it. I have that Xport, the a HDD to USB dock/converter, to copy and paste MP3 files into the correct directory. Just need to find a nice small monitor that supports VGA and/or COMPONENT inputs.