Pump not shutting off when filling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TayJeep

Reaction score
I did some seaching on this and the best I can see is that using the GM part with the valve in line solves the issue. The posts I read were old so I was just checking to see if that is still the fix for the over fill issue.

This if on my daughters 2006 liberty

Thanks

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 does this too. That doesn't help you at all, but thought I'd chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tank does the same thing from time to time. I found that not putting the nozzle all the way into to fill spout will help to avoid the spit back of fuel. I usually put the nozzle in and then back it out about 1/2 inch to 1 inch. Also when I know the tank is nearly filled I will slow down the flow of the fuel by half or less.

It's a 20 Gal Tank. so when filling from a quarter tank mark I start slowing down the flow at about 11 gallons.

Basically. Anything to help air escape will prevent the fuel spit back when the pump kicks off.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get gas at a different station and see if it still doesn't shut off. If it does, the other nozzles are not working correctly. If it still doesn't shut off, it's your Jeep that's goofy.
The nozzles always shut off on mine, no matter where I gas up.

TayJeep

Reaction score
OK. maybe it was on another site that I found the fix I was talking about. I will post it here if/when I find it again.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it was on this site I remember seeing it. But my jeep doesn't have that problem so I don't know the best solution.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed that for the month I lived in Portland. Of course I'm sure after the novelty of not pumping your own gas wears off it's not as cool lol

There was a possibility we would move (for work) to the Portland area...ultimately not being allowed to pump your own fuel was a show-stopper for us, it was kinda weird actually, plus it took three times longer to fill up and pay because you had to wait for the attendant because despite every other vehicle being a Prius all the stations were busy. Having someone else do this for you might have been okay forty years ago but not today. Saw it for what it was, a state jobs program.

I notice the opposite on nozzle position, it'll shut off on sensitive back-pressure nozzles unless I back off a little.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually i heard if you insert the nozzle upside down you're less likely to experience an issue. I think I remember hearing that...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it's a jeep issue rather than the automatic shut off on the fueling nozzle not working.
Maybe try a different flowrate? I think usually the nozzle has 2-3 catches/clips that you can set to hold the lever for fueling.

TayJeep

Reaction score
Well I looked back and the fix I was seeing was on a CJ. I tried to cut and paste a picture from the old thread but it wouildn't let me.

Not sure why this would't work on KJ as well but it uses the GM rubber filler tube that has a flapper valve in it. You can trim the hose and use the GM tube or apparently some people have taken the valve out and put it in the original tube.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's not a pump issue. That or all the pumps here became defective the same time I got my KJ. I did see a fix on here or LOST but it involved dropping the tank and getting in there to replace some resevoir part or something. I think there was even a recall on this issue maybe? maybe I huffed to much of the gas that poured all over me too I guess.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not this is a fairly common issue with these Jeeps so I wouldn't say it's a pump issue.

I thought the gas nozzle clicking off early (premature ejection ;)) was the fairly common issue, which is caused by the evap system not working correctly (plugged vac hose, charcoal canister, etc). I haven't heard of the nozzle not shutting off being a common issue?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

These are in reference to some gas sloshing out right before the pump clicks off. The OP's issue, as he described it, is the pump nozzle isn't shutting off on it's own. Either he mis-described what's happening, and he's only getting the slosh too, or he gets a "waterfall" until he clicks the pump off manually....which is what's suggested based on the thread title.

TayJeep

Reaction score

Yes, that is at least one of the posts.

I may have described the issue incorrectly, it is the "sloshing" not that it never shuts off. It will click off but that is followed up by gas splashing out and down the side of the jeep.

I was just wondering if using the GM flapper valve fix has continued to work for people or if it turned out to be a short term fix.

Latest posts

Members online