Proud KJ 2.5 CRD Ltd Owner from Uk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben67uk

Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve had my 2003 KJ since 2006 and love it, not my daily drive anymore but it still gets a run out every week.
I’m looking for some advice on the Engine temperature the needle never gets past the quarter mark even in warm weather, although the Engine runs well.

Is this normal?
Cheers

Attachments

• 9383363D-9ED3-4F92-9409-6E37FDA53D84.jpeg
    9383363D-9ED3-4F92-9409-6E37FDA53D84.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 4

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The temp gauges on these are basically idiot lights in a way
At mid point they can have a difference of 40 degrees or so
Only real way to tell is with a scan gauge

ben67uk

Reaction score
Hi Tommudd
Thanks for the advice, I can live with this!
Tim

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome....I bought my 2002 2.5 CRD new 20 years ago here in South Africa...is now about to hit 200,000 kms!

Best vehicle I have ever had and it will stay with me for a bit longer I hope!

Main problem I had with it was that my GF decided to crash it into a tree....this damaged a lot of the wiring up front but fortunately I know my Electronics and with the aid of the wiring diagrams I was able to repair about 15 broken or shorted wires...I always travel with my Laptop with me with the 2002 2.5 CRD Manuals loaded and my trusty Fluke Multimeter!

Have recently had the Timing belt, Serpentine Belt and pulleys replaced....cannot have one of those fail!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not already have the manuals...download them here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Download the 2003 KJ manuals but also very important is to download the section: "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which covers our Export models!

You will have disk brakes at the rear....mine came out with drums at the rear which I need to have serviced soon!;)

My Temp Gauge works fine....on a very hot day in the Kruger National Park the Jeep came close to overheating and the gauge showed this!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The temp gauges on these are basically idiot lights in a way
At mid point they can have a difference of 40 degrees or so
Only real way to tell is with a scan gauge
The CRD doesn't do well with the scan gauge. Everything works ok but the initial information needs to be reprogrammed every time the CRD is started. It forgets when it's turned off.

ben67uk

Reaction score

Download the 2003 KJ manuals but also very important is to download the section: "2.5_2.8 export diesel" which covers our Export models!

You will have disk brakes at the rear....mine came out with drums at the rear which I need to have serviced soon!;)

My Temp Gauge works fine....on a very hot day in the Kruger National Park the Jeep came close to overheating and the gauge showed this!
Thanks for the Manuals, really useful

DaisyCannon

Reaction score

I am glad I found your post. I was searching for the business plan experts online and while searching for them online, I found link to your post.
Thank you my friend.

Last edited:

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve had my 2003 KJ since 2006 and love it, not my daily drive anymore but it still gets a run out every week.
I’m looking for some advice on the Engine temperature the needle never gets past the quarter mark even in warm weather, although the Engine runs well.

Is this normal?
Cheers
It appears from your description that you have a failed engine thermostat assembly, even taking into account the inaccurate engine temperature gauge. If your engine is indeed running too cool, you are not getting the full power production and fuel economy the engine is capable of producing. You are also contributing to the engine clogging itself out with pollutants because the engine is not running hot enough to burn off those pollutants in any kind of substantive way.

The engine thermostat for the Cherokee CRD engine is an assembly that has it's own crimped together cast aluminum housing; it is not a bare valve. I manufacture an extreme quality upgrade thermostat assembly for the R428 engine that is serviceable and takes commonly available Chrysler HEMI V-8 petrol engine thermostat valves, making thermostat valve change-outs very easy to do and inexpensive. Please see my avatar image.

I know your engine is an R425 which has a similar thermostat assembly, but I know there have been some minor changes to the R425/R428 engine over the years. I would require to actually have an old non-functioning R425 thermostat in my possession to see if I can change up the current design to accommodate those minor changes. I am interested in acquiring old non-functioning original equipment thermostat assemblies for both the R425 and the R428 engines in both longitudinal mount, (rear-wheel drive), and transverse mount, (front wheel drive), configurations. If you can help me obtain these, (most versions of the O.E. thermostats for the V.M. Motori diesel engines are not available here in Canada), I can get you a revised version of my Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly that will fit your R425 engine for cost of manufacture.

For more information about the HDS Model 001 and what I can do for you, please e-mail me at [email protected]. I am also willing to call you at a time that is convenient to the both of us and making sure I account for the time zone difference. Please include a mobile number I can text you at; also include your time zone, times of the day and days of the week that are O.K. for me to call you.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Allan Bauer
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada