pros and cons of bilstein lift shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello guys - time for new shocks. 5 years ago i had the ome's and they were great. came with the jba tommud (Tom you are the man!) econilift- with ome 927's (i hope i remember the spring code right). 3 years later the ome's went to bin and i got some rancho's - not my cup of tea (or mud) at all. ome's are so much better. I am running KK forks, a top plate, cradle drop etc - but for as long as i can remember the front sat a bit lower than the rear. last week i got to installing new bilsteins on the rear and i was like "why not get front bilsteins too?"- and my buddy who runs a grand cherokee wk told me- "why not get bilstein lift shocks?" and i was like "because the springs do the lifting dummy" - but as expected i was the dummy. bilstein do make shocks that can give you some lift and they even have those on amazon (important for me cause i live in Israel and shipping is a mothe%^&Cker).

so i guess i am gonna order the bilsteins and maybe even get that extra half an inch or so if i play my cards right. but have any of you guys ever tried these shocks? I mean sure- bilsteins are great, but i dont know much about this lift method besides of course how to get the lift by correctly mounting the spring perch.

there she is in all her glory- and the front is a tad lower as usual.

Attachments

• 274754735_4655349564587962_1998197553235742067_n.jpg
    274754735_4655349564587962_1998197553235742067_n.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 21

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking or wanting to use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks , think again
If you do want to use them, not sure why but,.....
You should not install them any more than sitting at the 0 mark, that is it
Any higher and it will create a disaster , degrading the springs within a few months
It preloads the springs which is very bad much like cheap spacer lifts do
These shocks should of never been built in the first place
4600s are cheaper , are the same internally , and are built for the KJs/KKs to keep the same spring perch at stock distances
Jeepinjarhead and I have discussed this and just today I seen a discussion suggesting someone use them
Please do not , unless you want to spend the extra money , set them at 0 just to say you have them

hadtomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx tom - as far as i am concerned- If you say it is **** (lol....i cant write SH**) then i won't buy it - end of discussion.

mattcoble

Reaction score
Bilstein set at lowest position still gives 1" of lift. I just installed a set with OME springs and got 3" of lift.