Project 2004 Liberty pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
I finally got my first Jeep Liberty!

You must be registered for see images attach

Always wanted one and finally found the perfect one. 2004 Liberty, 4x4, automatic transmission and the coolest bumper I have ever seen. I think the craiglsist ad read something along the lines of: Liberty, runs and drives, 4x4 works great, daily driver 411,000 commuting miles, some rust, couple scratches on front fender and custom bumper. Clear title, 2 owner vehicle.

I was so sold on the custom 2x8 front bumper. The price was right, so I pulled the trigger and handed over the cash!

I can now build my dream Jeep Liberty pickup and keep it low budget.

MY PLAN:

2" lift/level kit
Find or make a real front bumper
Gut the interior from the B-pillar back
Cut off the roof along the bottom of window line all the way to the tailgate
Make a "pickup" bed from B-pillar back
Weld rear doors to the rear quarter panel
31" or 33" tractor tires
Lincoln locker in rear
Lunchbox locker up front
Possibly 5.13 gears
Reduce weight by 500-1,000 lbs
John Deere green/yellow paint

Wish me luck, chime in with any feedback and most important of all: enjoy the build and shenanigans!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
2 inch lift and 33s LOL NO WAY 2 inch lift and 30s maybe if you use a real lift and not spacer lift
5,13 gears again LOL, what diffs are you swapping in ? 4.10 lowest in front D30A, rear 4.88s
full roll cage will be needed front to rear to keep body together
that is just a start
I suggest you look at what others have had to do like BDS before you start cutting things off
Lunch box in the D30a ? ,.............pop it goes
Not to kill your dreams, but have you really researched what you are suggesting on doing

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Going to document this one just for fun, here is part 1.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Bubba bumper!

LONGJEEPOWNER,

Yeah, it's as ghetto redneck as it gets, I can't stand it.

Picked up a free JK bumper on the way to pick up the KJ, wood is coming off and JK bumper is going on as soon as I have a free day.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
What kinda front diff setup are you going to go with?

JeepJeepster,

I was planning on keeping D30a up front and Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. 8.25 gears are dime a dozen, however D30a don't seem to find anything that's higher than 4.88. Looks like I'll have to go with 4.88s after all.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
He'll have to replace both front and rear diffs if he wants 5.13s

tommudd,

Why do you say that? There are plenty 5.13 and 4.88 gears available for 8.25" and some 4.88s but I can't seem to find any 5.13s for D30a

Since I have been a Jeep owner for a whopping 24 hours at this point, what can you tell me about the diffs that I do not know?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
tommudd,

Why do you say that? There are plenty 5.13 and 4.88 gears available for 8.25" and some 4.88s but I can't seem to find any 5.13s for D30a

Since I have been a Jeep owner for a whopping 24 hours at this point, what can you tell me about the diffs that I do not know?
I've owned KJs for over 16 years, have built many, done over 60 KJ lifts not counting my 3 , have searched and researched many options of what is and is not possible. ( have been building 4x4s since the 1970s )
I am a Mod on here and was on LOSTJEEPs for over 12 years as a Mod, also Mod on two Facebook forums for KJs
So have heard, seen personally etc what many have tried and what like I said is possible and impossible unless you spend 1000s of dollars
I have been to the BDS build building watching/ helping when they built their KJ and seen what they had to do as far as keeping strength in the unibody when cutting rear part of the roof off. ( I have pictures on here I took several years ago ) I have a good friend who has been working on what you want to do, but also doing it right
A KJ is a different beast than a Wrangler/ Full size GM product etc. You can not just go cutting parts off, expanding the wheelwells without destroying the body structure.
Now I know by now you have either quit reading or are rolling your eyes so much you head hurts.
So laugh at what I have posted and continue on your path and report back someday,
NOW again
4.10 is the lowest gearing available for the D30a , period, nothing even close to 4.88s/5.13s etc NOTHING
and a lunch box in the front is not a good idea, you need a full locker like a DTT to keep it together

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd,

Here we go with the 60+ kj post,its coming!...build your kj bro,these forums will give some good ideas,but theres more info out there than just on here..these things got limitations but can be some cool rigs

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Now I know by now you have either quit reading or are rolling your eyes so much you head hurts.
So laugh at what I have posted and continue on your path and report back someday

tommudd,

Read every word you wrote, three times actually and took notes. I highly value your opinion and experience greatly. You have quite a KJ resume, lol.

What can you tell me about the D30a, how is it different from D30, is the pinion longer, shorter. same? Is the cut regular or reverse? What bearings does it need, what bearings does the D30 need? Help a brother succeed where everyone else has failed...

Found this little gem on LOSTJEEP, wonder how he did it...

I want to do something similar.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here we go with the 60+ kj post,its coming!...build your kj bro,these forums will give some good ideas,but theres more info out there than just on here..these things got limitations but can be some cool rigs
Of course they can, common sense .............
But you must also agree that there are not any gears lower than 4.10s for the front etc
Over the years have heard many times
low buck build
4.56/5.13 gears cut out the fenderwells for 2 linch lift and 37s etc
then a week or so later, they give up and its parked behind the garage
I know of 9 just that way in Ohio

You don't like me so chill out on what I post

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The D30a is completely different than the Durty 30
aluminum case, gears do not cross over, nothing does between the two

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd,

Read every word you wrote, three times actually and took notes. I highly value your opinion and experience greatly. You have quite a KJ resume, lol.

What can you tell me about the D30a, how is it different from D30, is the pinion longer, shorter. same? Is the cut regular or reverse? What bearings does it need, what bearings does the D30 need? Help a brother succeed where everyone else has failed...

Found this little gem on LOSTJEEP, wonder how he did it...

I want to do something similar.

That's pretty cool..go crazy, go solid front axle

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
That's pretty cool..go crazy, go solid front axle

Doing10to20,

I will be actually getting under the Liberty next week when my strut and coil spacers arrive. I'll figure out what I want to do with the front end then.

Latest posts

Members online