Project 2004 Liberty pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
That LibTruck reminds me of an Isuzu Amigo. Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out.

jeepop,

You are so right, it does have an Amigo look, hopefully it will have a much more practical and usable bed than the Amigo.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Found a JK bumper on the side of the road the other day. What are the chances of such a fine catch.

Has anyone put a stock JK bumper on a Liberty? I mocked this one up just to see how it would look, and I like it. Mounting it should be pretty straight forward also: stick a couple 1.75" square tubes in the holes in the front, weld up a couple mounting plates, bolt up JK bumper and I am good to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

JK silver is a perfect match to the KJ silver, what do ya know.

JK bumper sticks out approximately 1" past the tires, however once the 33s are on and stance is slightly widened it should be a perfect flush fit. Bumper install will be at a later time.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old Isuzu pickup that refused to die, so I hope that did not seem like a poke or anything negative.

The only reason that old worn out Isuzu is not still in my driveway is some crazy neighbor borrowed it when his truck was totaled and after multiple interactions trying to get it back, he drove it to my house with fire flames painted on it and a bunch of other crap, so I made him pay me cash on the spot for it. I am sure it is till running somewhere in the greater SE.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
I had an old Isuzu pickup that refused to die, so I hope that did not seem like a poke or anything negative.

The only reason that old worn out Isuzu is not still in my driveway is some crazy neighbor borrowed it when his truck was totaled and after multiple interactions trying to get it back, he drove it to my house with fire flames painted on it and a bunch of other crap, so I made him pay me cash on the spot for it. I am sure it is till running somewhere in the greater SE.

jeepop,

I know what you meant by that reference. I always wanted an Amigo just couldn't find one in good enough shape. I also had a 88 Trooper 2 and know exactly how your Hombre drove.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Project update:

Interior is gutted from B-pillar back. All unnecessary trim, wires, panels, insulation, seats windows and seat belts have been removed. I marked my theoretical cut lines for the pickup conversion.

I was supposed to start cutting today but 22" of fresh snow got in the way and kids really wanted to get out and play in the Jeep. We did a few laps around the barn just to get a feel for what a stock KJ can really do on all season 29" tires, and open diffs. IT WAS A BLAST!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Enjoy and as always...

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Gurttng/teardown is complete. Also removed approximately 319 lbs from the Liberty.

Removed everything that I though was not necessary from the B-pillar back.

Rear seats and carpet came out.

All plastic trim came came out.

With trim and wiring gone I am beginning to formulate a plan for the actual pickup bed area. Which should be 48" deep, 40" wide and 20" tall.

Ceiling trim came out, sunroof wiring is out also. I did not remove the sunroof yet because I do not want to have a hole in my roof nor do I know what I want to do with it yet.

Tailgate lost the spare tire, spare tire mount, rear wiper and motor assembly, glass hatch and locking mechanism. Trim piece will be going back on.

Doors lost glass, window regulators, wiring, speakers and plastic trim. I can still open the rear doors with outside handle, keeping it for now.

Painters tape marks the approximate lines where I will be cutting. Liberty looks so much better with the door glass completely removed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
After cutting, Considering the roof adds major structural integrity, I hope you wont be driving that around until the lower reinforcements / roll bar goes in.
The uni body could easily twist without strengthening.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
The roof is off. Drove around the driveway a little bit, so far so good.

I left the roof reinforcement just rear of the B pillar in tact, trying to keep at least a little bit of unibody structure in tact. The doors are still functional, will run the Liberty up a couple ramps tomorrow to see exactly how much and whats left of the body flexes or bends.

More pictures when the sun comes out. From the looks of everything today looks like the rear doors will be welded to the body for structural rigidity.

Next step: weld the body where I cut out pinch-welds and figure out how to make an actual and functional pickup bed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will need a lot more than just welding doors shut to make it last
One trip up a ramp will prove nothing
Really need to see how others have done it the right way
Again look at how BDS for example did theirs

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Will need a lot more than just welding doors shut to make it last
One trip up a ramp will prove nothing
Really need to see how others have done it the right way
Again look at how BDS for example did theirs

tommudd,

Your insight is greatly appreciated, however I was not aware of BDS ever building Liberty pickup. They had a completely custom fabbed dune buggy with a Liberty motor and sheetmetal but they never actually built a Liberty pickup, please correct me if I am wrong, I would love to see a picture of the vehicle you are referring to.

What others are you referring to that have built a Liberty pickup, also please add pictures I could use some ideas for my project.

Looking forward to your helpful insight...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was there during the build of the BDS build
It was NOT a dune buggy with KJ sheet metal hung on , it was a KJ
But you have your ideas so continue on
Will not bug ya anymore

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will not bug ya anymore
Here is the thread I’m aware of that documents the BDS KJ build.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74599

All of the descriptions are there but unfortunately many of the pics in the thread are no longer available. Scanning through it looks like there are some live pics beginning on page 6 and after.

In some of them you can see Tom’s black Kilimanjaro 04 KJ parked there, so you know he’s legit! ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
At least my pictures are still there !
There should be some more, I still have them in a file somewhere but there it is
" A DUNE BUGGY WITH KJ BODY PARTS HUNG ON " LMAO
if you look , you can clearly see it is a KJ, titled as a KJ, still original diesel motor / transmission, most all body panels just reworked, strengthened , full roll cage, extra bracing to hold it all together . The way it needs to be done . Same way a buddy of mine is doing his
Oh well you try and share ideas , what you have been involved in, and still,...........................................................................................................................................................

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Will not bug ya anymore

tommudd,

Once again thank you for reflecting on your past memories, lets try this another way.

Straight from the BDS build website:

BDS "Liberty" with ALL structural metal removed so that a master fabricator could build a full DOM tubing frame in a multi-million dollar facility with an unlimited budget and a team putting in several thousand hours:

And this is what the back of an actual Jeep Liberty looks like:

I am building a Jeep Liberty pickup. Two door truck, with a bed behind the front seats that I will be able to throw cargo into. Google pickup and you will see that there is quite a resemblance between hundreds of millions of pickup pictures and my Liberty which looks like this:

BDS did not build a pickup, they built a specialty off custom off road vehicle that kept a Jeep Liberty windshield, VIN plate, dash, motor and transmission or an extremely capable 4-door Suzuki X-90.

Similarities are striking...

You also keep on referring to others that have Built Liberty pickup, who? There are only two Jeep Liberty pickups on google: black one and a green one, can not figure out who built either one and would greatly appreciate their input.

Looks like I'm just here to comfort disturbed people and disturb comfortable people.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, oh my
reading things into an overall build that just was not done the way you think it was
As far as the other PU builds they are being built , reinforced, roll cages , extra metal added etc in key areas
The way the KJs and KKs were built as a unibody, the whole structure works together for overall strength
Its nothing like a TJ/JK/ Suburban etc
You cut one part away and it affects the rest of the structure
And,........ you are not disturbing anyone as you jokingly think you are, but you are going about this like a joke
Thinking those of us who have been around 15 or more years, have great friends who work for Jeep, designing them, building them, have spent hours discussing them around campfires, and thinking we know not what we are talking about
Putting a " so called pickup box" on the KJ does nothing overall in the end
Done

OH and only part cut out was the rear section there that was shown, floorboards, seats everything else down to stock front and rear seats bolted right back in, I know I have a scar from one bracket from the rear seat
oh well wasting my time here

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
LOL, oh my
reading things into an overall build that just was not done the way you think it was
As far as the other PU builds they are being built , reinforced, roll cages , extra metal added etc in key areas
The way the KJs and KKs were built as a unibody, the whole structure works together for overall strength
Its nothing like a TJ/JK/ Suburban etc
You cut one part away and it affects the rest of the structure
And,........ you are not disturbing anyone as you jokingly think you are, but you are going about this like a joke
Thinking those of us who have been around 15 or more years, have great friends who work for Jeep, designing them, building them, have spent hours discussing them around campfires, and thinking we know not what we are talking about
Putting a " so called pickup box" on the KJ does nothing overall in the end
Done

OH and only part cut out was the rear section there that was shown, floorboards, seats everything else down to stock front and rear seats bolted right back in, I know I have a scar from one bracket from the rear seat
oh well wasting my time here

tommudd,

Still waiting on a picture on a KJ/KK pickup that you claim so many others have built already, please do entertain us all and post one or two here for all to see.

I am calling your bluff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not calling my bluff LOL
I have friends who are doing it, but we are not young facebookers who all they do is run around and takes pictures all the time
If you do not believe me , well your loss
you do not believe how they built the BDS either so why should I waste my time on you
Now to finish up some work on a customers KJ

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tommudd,

Once again thank you for reflecting on your past memories, lets try this another way.

Straight from the BDS build website:

BDS "Liberty" with ALL structural metal removed so that a master fabricator could build a full DOM tubing frame in a multi-million dollar facility with an unlimited budget and a team putting in several thousand hours:

And this is what the back of an actual Jeep Liberty looks like:

I am building a Jeep Liberty pickup. Two door truck, with a bed behind the front seats that I will be able to throw cargo into. Google pickup and you will see that there is quite a resemblance between hundreds of millions of pickup pictures and my Liberty which looks like this:

BDS did not build a pickup, they built a specialty off custom off road vehicle that kept a Jeep Liberty windshield, VIN plate, dash, motor and transmission or an extremely capable 4-door Suzuki X-90.

Similarities are striking...

You also keep on referring to others that have Built Liberty pickup, who? There are only two Jeep Liberty pickups on google: black one and a green one, can not figure out who built either one and would greatly appreciate their input.

Looks like I'm just here to comfort disturbed people and disturb comfortable people.

Bud just build your rig if you do it right its gonna be wicked cool and once its done if your close by I'll go so I can be in a pic or two ...its always a back and forth with some people,just take what few nuggets of info that will help and keep it going