Project 2004 Liberty pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Apparently the structural integrity of my Liberty pickup was greatly compromised to a point that I now have a 2,000+ lbs payload capacity.

Playing with my parts truck I decided to turn it into a convertible, just to see how much structural integrity that flimsy sheetmetal really provides.

You must be registered for see images attach

Only had a few minutes to cut, will finish the back later this week.

Doesn't it just look like it will fold in half if I even get in it?

It's pretty cool how much structure shaped stamped steel really provides.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Slowly cutting up the parts Jeep.

Back is cut off and I even took the seats out. Now it looks like a convertible.

I am tempted to cut it in half and stretch it or shorten it just for fun before it all goes to the scrap yard.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you.
I'd cut the floor out of it in such a way that you could lay it in the pickup you're making.
then either put in a mother load of spot welds, or use automotive panel adhesive between the two as a sandwich.

I did something similar on my one car when the firewall wound up with a pair of cracks.
I cut the firewall out of a donor car, laid it over the cracked one, couple tubes of adhesive, and about 100 rivets.
held find for 20 years.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda wanna ask if I can con you into sending me something from your parts/donor pile. :D

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Kinda wanna ask if I can con you into sending me something from your parts/donor pile. :D

sota,

So I got carried away a little today.

Wanted to see how much of the truck I can cut out if I wan to bob it and make it say 20" shorter.

And apparently it's so much easier to work on the rear end when the rear end is upsidedown.

Anyway, my pile of parts is getting bigger and abut to go to the dump. What parts are you looking for that I have not yet destroyed?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the little screw caps in the door panels in the door latch pockets. I lost the one in the front passenger door somehow. my gravel driveway swallowed it. :( I know it's not important, but it's one of those things I see all the damn time and it bugs me.
I'd ask about the between door plastic strip, also on the passenger side, but it's not drop-in-envelope-and-put-2-stamps-on-it sized.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
the little screw caps in the door panels in the door latch pockets. I lost the one in the front passenger door somehow. my gravel driveway swallowed it. :( I know it's not important, but it's one of those things I see all the damn time and it bugs me.
I'd ask about the between door plastic strip, also on the passenger side, but it's not drop-in-envelope-and-put-2-stamps-on-it sized.

sota,

Do you have a picture of where I can find that part in the door. It was raining the other day and I did not take the cut up parts to the scrap yard yet.

Also can you take a picture of the plastic strip you are talking about. If I have them I'll pull them ans send them to you.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Got my pickup on a couple ramps to show off the amazing suspension articulation and chassis, well whats left of it, flex.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

the cover for those screws on either side.

part #1 in that image, is the plastic strip I was referring to.

looks like that.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Reaction score
Last few months have been busy using the Liberty pickup exactly for the yard work I built it to do. Finally had some nice weather and free time to paint bumpers and most fender flares the same color and bolt them back onto the Liberty.

Front bumper was trimmed to get rid of the fog lights and open up the front end giving it that Baja bumper look.

Quick trim of the front fender flares to keep them attached to the front bumper, not sure if I'll be keeping it this way or trimming it more.

2 cans of Rustoleum bumper and trim paint was not enough for all the plastic pieces, will have to get one more can to finish making all fender flares look uniform.

Replaced old dented and rusty tailgate with a spare I had laying around. Next nice weather day will try to paint the rest of body panels green.

Latest posts

Members online