programming keyless entry remots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
programming keyless entry remotes

any way to do it besides the dealer?
they wanted 85$ to do one...
i had keys and one remote programmed by a friend for free in january, but i dont want to ask him too much

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it has to be done by the dealer since no one has responded...it was just a hope that there was another way

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an EVIC, you can program new remotes (but not security keys).

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To program additional transmitters

1 - Gather all remotes including existing, programmed remotes.
2 - Enter program mode: turn key to ON position, using a current programmed remote press and hold UNLOCK button (min 4, max 10 seconds) press panic button (1 second), then release both buttons.
3 - press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK button simultaneously, followed by pressing ANY button on each remote to be programmed. You should hear a chime after each remote is programmed.

(found in 03 Liberty Owners Manual, page 25)

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will try it later and see.
i guess i should have looked in the owners book first.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the EVIC in your overhead console (if you have an overhead console), follow these directions:

To Train Additional Key Fobs (using the EVIC module)
1. Press the MENU button until TRAIN REMOTE? NO is
displayed. Press the STEP button to change to YES. Then,
PRESS A VALID FOB KEY will be displayed. Press either
the “Lock” or “Unlock” button on the current key fob.
2. The next display will say PRESS FOB 2 LOCK &
UNLOCK. Press both key fob buttons simultaneously.
3. The next display will say PRESS FOB 2 UNLOCK.
Press the unlock button on the second key fob.
4. The next display will say FOB 2 TRAINED. At this
point, the procedure can be exited by pressing the STEP,
RESET, or C/T button.
5. Repeat step 2 — 4 to train additional key fobs. A total
of four key fobs can be programmed.

The method above will also work if you don't have the EVIC.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the instructions those worked, but you left out a couple details

1 - Gather all remotes including existing, programmed remotes.
2 - Enter program mode: turn key to ON position, using a current programmed remote press and hold UNLOCK button (min 4, max 10 seconds) press panic button (1 second), then release both buttons.
3 - *On the remote to be programmed* press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK button simultaneously, followed by pressing ANY button on each remote to be programmed. You should hear a chime after each remote is programmed.

(found in 03 Liberty Owners Manual, page 25)

it was on page 59 for the 02 manual.
also in my case there was no chime, but when the new remote worked whatever button was pushed that function happened. for instance i chose to push the lock button and the doors locked so i knew it was working.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the method for using the EVIC i have that, but the other method is easy too.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you were able to do this with only one currently programmed key? I was always told that you need two working keys to program additional keys

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just for programming keyless remote entry. For programing the transponder chips in the key you do require two working keys for on-board programming. If you only have one key, a dealer (or some locksmiths can do it) will have to get involved.

Rule of thumb I tell people: If your vehicle (mainly Chrysler, Ford and some new GM) has a transponder (sentry) key system, you should have three keys. That way if you loose one you can still do on-board programming. If you have two, get a third. If you have one, DO NOT LOOSE IT!!!!! get two more.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well turns out i somehow disabled my wifes remote while successfully programming mine...

fixer

Reaction score
hi my evic dont have train mode in it i have tryed it allways cant train 2nd remote useing info supplyed can anyone help a poor britt on the wrong side on the pond with 04 2.5 crd out this is my 2nd jeep and loveing it [ william ]

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my 07 Liberty the other day. It came with only one key, no remotes or anything. I'm wanting to get keyless entry remotes if possible for it. My question is how do I program a new remote if I do not have a valid remote (all the instructions required an already valid remote). I do have the EVIC console on mine.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking through my EVIC, it doesn't even have the option to "train remote"...so I'm assuming that I cannot just go get a keyless entry remote and have it. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

A side note, how much do keys normally run? I have only one...I did fine with just one on my Focus, but it was a Manual and the wife never drove it (couldn't). I'd like to have at least one more key.

joedarock

Reaction score
Program the remote features

If I buy a blank remote key fob, have it cut, and program the ignition-start aspect via the 2-key method, do I also have to perform another programming for the remote control aspect?

2005 Jeep Liberty

Joe

Last edited:

Chriscutrone

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it has to be a factory keyless entry to program a new one or can it be an aftermarket one? I only have one working which is an aftermarket and I don't think it's going into program mode with it.