problems with np231 T-CASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey I realize that this is the Kj board but,
Im kinda stumped right now Im dealing with a 1999 jeep wrangler sport 5 speed with a 3.5 lift and an sye in the np 231 case (Not a hack and tap). it also has a tom woods rear cv drive shaft. all the U joints are good and the front drive shaft was just replaced.

the issues is it will not shift back into 2wd. I checked the linkage and checked for all the normal issues I would expect.
does anyone have any Ideas?

its not my heep this time its my cousin's and hes kinda broke like the rest of us lol so this is "an in the snow driveway fix" ya Im happy about it can you tell;-)

I was thinking of taking the linkage apart but it shifts from 4 low through 4 hi and neutral just fine. just not 2 wheel hi.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have a body lift on the 99 Wrangler then I'd have to guess he has shifter linkage issues. Disconnect the shifter from the handle and see if you can manually shift into 2WD.

The KJ's 231 transfer case is pretty similar to the TJ's but I don't think you could swap them directly.

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this things kicking my ass

well all the tires are 33/12.50x15 maxxis bighorns there all in good shape.

Its weird I disconected the linkage and its a no go . Ive had more than one of these cases apart before. I checked the oil its good no metal in the case. I sprade the hell out of the linkage with Pb blaster thinking it might loosen up but its not the linkage something in the case itself is binding up.

I took it out and ran it around in the snow shifting between 4 low, N, and 4 high. foward and reverse with no luck Its so cold out right now Im wondering if there could be Ice or water in the case causing the problem I know how that sounds but I dont know what else it could be theres no slop in the shifting or in the chain it grabs hard in 4wd...
my next thought was to disconect the front drive shaft maybe something down the lines causeing the problem?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well all the tires are 33/12.50x15 maxxis bighorns there all in good shape.

Its weird I disconected the linkage and its a no go . Ive had more than one of these cases apart before. I checked the oil its good no metal in the case. I sprade the hell out of the linkage with Pb blaster thinking it might loosen up but its not the linkage something in the case itself is binding up.

I took it out and ran it around in the snow shifting between 4 low, N, and 4 high. foward and reverse with no luck Its so cold out right now Im wondering if there could be Ice or water in the case causing the problem I know how that sounds but I dont know what else it could be theres no slop in the shifting or in the chain it grabs hard in 4wd...
my next thought was to disconect the front drive shaft maybe something down the lines causeing the problem?

Could be
I would try with no front D/S
but remember that you need to be moving forward at 5 or so mph
to get it into 2wd even with no front shaft

Latest posts

Members online