Problem with alternator charging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StarDreamers.us

Reaction score
Problem with alternator charging?? A while back I read a tread about a problem that someone had with their alternator not charging all the time. A hit and miss on charging. The system is an 05 CRD sport. Red top battery. Battery totally dead today showing short in the battery. This is the third battery that has been replaced. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks for your help.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said it's an 05. If you are still in your 3/36 warranty take it to the dealer. If not, then go to Autozone and they will test the charging system free. Doesn't seem like you should be going through batteries like that. CRD or otherwise. Something is killing them.

Dave

dutov

Reaction score
Start Jeep with good battery. Disconnect negative battery wire. If it remains running the alternator is good. If it dies the alternator is bad. The alternator shoudl be putting out 13.3-14.7 volts DC (don't quote me on that)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start Jeep with good battery. Disconnect negative battery wire. If it remains running the alternator is good. If it dies the alternator is bad. The alternator shoudl be putting out 13.3-14.7 volts DC (don't quote me on that)

Gotta be careful about that. Most computers in vehicles today need a certain voltage to keep running. Sometimes they wont even run with a dead battery, even if you boost them.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I acutally had the same problem with my '01 Ford Taurus.

It would just randomly go dead.

The one time it went dead I was on the interstate driving for 4-5hours(long trip) pulled off in a rest area and shut the car off. Went in and when I came back out the battery was dead. I had only been in there for like 5minutes.

Since I was 3+ hours away from home and had road side assistance I called a tow truck. They tried jumping it, but nothing happened. I had them actually two it to an Advance Auto since it was about 8pm at night. They tested the system and told me the alternator was shot. I didn't believe them and just bought a new battery. I drove the car home and have been driving it ever since without anymore problems.

The only thing I can figure is that there was loose connection on the battery or something and caused it not to charge/go dead.

Beats me.