Priming a lash adjuster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone do this? I've seen conflicting ideas.

Also following up with my post in the WDYDTYJT section.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/what-did-you-do-your-jeep-today-50782/index856.html#post671369

Took the cam cover off today and did throw a rocker. Rocker looks undamaged and it was the #2 exhaust again as I expected. Internals don't look bad for 170k. Some gunk but much cleaner than last time I had it apart. Upon close inspection I believe the lash adjuster has completely failed (collapsed). Nipple just moves freely, unlike the spring action in replacement in the image below. I'm going to just put the new one in and hope for the best.

Attachments

• IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 32

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well finally found it in my FSM. The good book said to make sure the adjuster was at least partially full of oil. No mention as to how to do this so I laid the adjuster on its side in a small container of fresh oil for a couple hours. Initially I worked the adjuster a bit and it tightened up after quite a few bubbles came out. Installed and put everything back together and she fired right up. No "ouch" noise and ran smooth to full operating temp. Did notice quite a bit of timing chain chatter on that side when fully warm but that's another project. We'll see how it goes next week during the back and forth to work.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good work.
Wonder if there is any stronger brand or upgrade over OEM parts for rockers and lash adjusters?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good work.
Wonder if there is any stronger brand or upgrade over OEM parts for rockers and lash adjusters?

Not sure about the rockers. They seem pretty tough for stamped steel. I did find these "performance" lash adjusters that may be better:

Camshafts and Valvetrain : 3rd Strike Performance!Your source for Late Model Muscle!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts and Aftermarket Accessories!!

I figured the originals lasted 170k so that's not bad in my book. I replaced with a Melling adjuster. Was identical to the factory (or at least identical to the adjusters that were in it when I bought it).

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the days of 390 Fords and 350 Chevys one stood lifters up in container of motor oil and pumped em till they quit bubbling.

Sounds like a job well done!

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well approximately 75 mile round trip to and from work and nothing exploded. Guess I'll call it a success for now. Actually seemed quieter than usual. May have been my truck I was driving in its absence. Anyway, I'll just wait for the next thing to break. Oh and still have to fix my heat, or lack thereof.