Jeep to do list. A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got a full day off to really go through the 2011 Jeep Liberty I purchased. So at 103K here is everything that I have on my to-do list per thorough inspection. 1. Flush and replace coolant 2. New Spark Plugs 3. Change oil and filter to Mobile 1 or Royal Purple with wix filter. 4. Replace Shocks all around. 5 Change transmission fluid and filter.

The A/C system seems to be having an issue as well. I have not got my full gauge kit with me but it was acting like it was low on freon so I stopped off and bought a quick fill with a cheap gauge to give it a bump. Well upon hooking up the gauge it showed that it was overcharged, ambient temperature of 90 degrees and showing 55psig compressor running. So I presumed that the high pressure switch was shutting off the compressor, it did sound labored. but as I was about to disconnect it due to not needing freon the gauge fluctuated and dropped down to about 43 and the compressor stayed running then a short time the pressure started building up to over 55 and the compressor shut off. I do have the extended warranty that covers the A/C system's major parts. Would I be correct in diagnosing this as a faulty expansion valve when I tell the shop what is going on with it? Initial symptoms were cold air at speeds other than idle, then when at idle stopped no cold air. Yes it would be great if I had my real gauges. Sorry for the lack of helpful data.

Also, if there are some other maintenance things I missed on my list, please suggest them to me, I already replaced the air filter with a K&N drop in filter today. I plan on keeping this Liberty for quite some time so the K&N saves me money in the long run.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Seems like you'll be busy. Off the top of my head, I think check diff fluid (crap magnet too), brakes (calipers greased, visual rotor inspection). Not sure if royal purple is worth the high cost. Never used it, got nothing against it, it's just $$$$ and my budget is $$. About your AC, not much help there. Mine has been out for a few months, needs a rebuild, and I've got minimal HVAC knowledge. I'm sure I'll come up with more, but for now that's it.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you'll be busy. Off the top of my head, I think check diff fluid (crap magnet too), brakes (calipers greased, visual rotor inspection). Not sure if royal purple is worth the high cost. Never used it, got nothing against it, it's just $$$$ and my budget is $$. About your AC, not much help there. Mine has been out for a few months, needs a rebuild, and I've got minimal HVAC knowledge. I'm sure I'll come up with more, but for now that's it.

I hear you, good catch on diffs, I do Royal purple when I catch it on sale. Just under 50 bucks for a change but I'll run that stuff to 10K where Mobil 1 I usually run to 8k. That is the only difference, and I ***** that by an audible difference in how the engine sounds between the two at longer intervals, granted this was in my prior Chevy Colorado.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Thanks. Also "I see what you mean" said the blind man, my idle gets a bit rougher around oil change time. Never looked into differences between oils, usually get an employee discount at Walmart so it's cheaper, or the same, price to have them do my oil changes. I'd be afraid to do 10k, just on how it acts 5k. And before I forget, don't forget the engine bay ear test: all pulleys smooth, no grinding, and check the belt for wear. Having a belt pop and watching your temp gauge climb is not fun. At all. If I wanted danger I'd walk around Atlanta with a bandolier of Benjamins...

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, did the engine bay check. Nothing sounds out of whack. I haven’t looked up the ps fluid to see what is called for but mine almost looks like ****** fluid. I was also amused at the coil pack set up. Three coils and three plug wires...so if I loose a coil, I’m down two cylinders instead of one. Kinda scratched my head and thought “who would think this was a great idea”

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all just posting here to avoid a new thread. Took the Jeep on vacation the past couple of weeks and did some more maintenance catch up along the way since I had access to a full shop at my parents house. Traveled 2,200 miles round trip averaging between 20-23 mpg depending on the wind traveling at the posted speed limits. Not too bad. Gave Betty a new transmission pan, filter, and fluid. Felt so bad Betty has been neglected by previous owners, primarily hate to see cars neglected, secondly it's mine, lol. I should have taken pics as I have never seen a transmission pan with bubbles inside it from rust, fluid was horrible too. New diff fluids and rear brakes. Someone had used orange rtv silicone to hold the brake pads to the bracket I guess because they couldn't afford the hardware kit. But the Jeep is in good spirits and Happy now. The new issue to track down is flickering lights at idle. I hooked up my scan tool and it is showing voltage irregularities from the alternator that seem to sync up with the flicker pattern but I haven't load tested the battery as it may be the culprit too. Projects for the next upcoming day off.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I see you mentioned replacing shocks, at the very least replace the front springs with good quality as well.
Suspension from the factory is junk. By 60-70,000 miles springs and shocks are toast
Spring rate in front is only 310 lb, should of been 340-350 from the get go

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm saving up for OME lift however the suspension was so dire, riding on the bump stops that I supplemented with Gabriel springs and shocks. My cost was 160 bucks and my time to install. The Gabriel ride height is 18 1/4 front and 18 3/4 rear. I know it won't last more than 25k miles but that's about how long before I can lift it. I'm also going to get the JBA control arms and forged clevises.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online