Jeep not starting....HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep all connections are hooked up to the throttle body....

The code p2317 says P2317 Ignition Coil F Sec Circ

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha i read 2137 .... nvm ... ound lie coil pac or wire to the coil pac .... the compreion ... it mot liely a dropped valve pring...

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could also be asd controll circuit... plug wire... i the coil swelled

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if none of hoe you probably have a bad pcm . what ind of plug they have to be copper they could be cauing the problem a well

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think it is the PCM, because when I hold it at 3k rpms or something it will misfire and drop a little rpm then pick up again. So I know there is an issue there.

I will replace the #6 coil and double check the spark on the plug, making sure its not orange and go from there.

Last edited:

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proceeding

Correcting bad coils and plugs must be done. However zero compression on one cylinder is your most pressing problem. Why? Is the head gasket blown? Is one of the rocker arms or lash adjusters causing a valve on the middle passenger side cylinder to be held slightly open? Pull the rocker arm cover and investigate. That is the first thing to check after correcting the coils and plugs.

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update,

So I double checked all connections and found out that the ignition coil to #6 is not faulty, I just forgot to plug the connector back in!

Thus of course was an idiot move on my part but no longer throws the code for it, so I have 1 bad coil on cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 has no compression.

So on Sunday I will remove the valve cover and check the lash adjusters and valve springs...wondering if one of the valve springs broke or a valve bent.....maybe that was the loud bang I herd that morning when I started the jeep when this all started.

Obviously the spark plugs were also an issue because it started after I replaced them, it shudders and does not idle...I am assuming it is a bent valve\ broken spring.

I will stop starting it until I investigate. Hopefully I do not have to pull the head.....if so then that's when I will have it towed to a shop lol

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the very worst would be a valve spring .. sometimes the plastic rocker flys off sometimes it bends the rod sometimes no sometimes its a broken spring causing this....

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to buy all new valve springs because if I am going to tare down the block I might as well replace them all....

How do I find the right type of valve spring need for my 2005 Sport Liberty 6 speed manual 3.7L?

I looked in the haynes manual and online and I can not find an answer :(

:shrug:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to buy all new valve springs because if I am going to tare down the block I might as well replace them all....

How do I find the right type of valve spring need for my 2005 Sport Liberty 6 speed manual 3.7L?

I looked in the haynes manual and online and I can not find an answer :(

:shrug:

Rock Auto has Mopar valve springs:

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update,

So luckily I removed the valve cover to inspect everything before buying parts....it turns out all my springs are fine and none of the intake valves dropped BUT I did find a rocker arm for cylinder 4 that was off and the reason for that is the lifter came apart! the snap ring that holds it closed broke! No wonder why that cylinder was not getting compression!

So I have a lifter on order and will have it for tomorrow, I will update after I install it and give her a try.

I appreciate the info on the place for springs. I will def keep those guys in mind if I ever need them :)

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again,

So I put the new lifter in and when I went to put the rocker arm back on, the valve spring was not up high enough for the rocker arm to snap into place, so I took a screw driver and popped her back up....it snapped like it was stuck down in the hole. So I put the rocker arm on and when I turned it over it ran perfectly fine for a few seconds then the spring got stuck again and the rocker arm fell off....I recorded it so I could see it happen.

So I figured I got the rocker arms mixed up when I took them off originally so I switched it with another one and it does the same thing.

So does this mean its a broken spring? or bent valve?

So close yet so far!

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again,

So I put the new lifter in and when I went to put the rocker arm back on, the valve spring was not up high enough for the rocker arm to snap into place, so I took a screw driver and popped her back up....it snapped like it was stuck down in the hole. So I put the rocker arm on and when I turned it over it ran perfectly fine for a few seconds then the spring got stuck again and the rocker arm fell off....I recorded it so I could see it happen.

So I figured I got the rocker arms mixed up when I took them off originally so I switched it with another one and it does the same thing.

So does this mean its a broken spring? or bent valve?

So close yet so far!
if its one its both .... do them

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has to be that then, there is no other reason that would happen? only way to find out is to remove the spring I guess..

I also need to figure out if its the intake or exhaust valve.

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it has to be that then, there is no other reason that would happen? only way to find out is to remove the spring I guess..

I also need to figure out if its the intake or exhaust valve.

its going to be intake ... 100% if it was still intaking it would give compression even 1 lb
at this point you may aswell just rebuild the whole dame thing.

Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its going to be intake ... 100% if it was still intaking it would give compression even 1 lb
at this point you may aswell just rebuild the whole dame thing.

Replace all springs and valves?

Probably a good idea.....I watched everything and they are all good cept that one.....that is right about the intake though I did not think of that. Def intake because I do not even get a reading on compression.

The spring sits in a metal type housing.....looks like this
You must be registered for see images attach

Why are some springs like that are others are like this
You must be registered for see images attach

Thank you.

Last edited: