Prepping for Road Trip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next month I will be taking the KJ on its first real road trip, about 500 miles each way, and am looking any pointers to get prepped for the trip.

The Jeep has 92k on her.
So far oil changed last week with a new PCV valve and air filter.
****** pan drop with new filter, about half the fluid replaced and new pan done in November.
Battery last spring.
Plugs over summer.
Dayco Belt and tensioner done about a month ago.
TB cleaned last weekend.
Lucas fuel system cleaner done every 2000 miles or so, will be done in the next week or so.
Diff fluid and t-case fluid done about a year and half ago with 12k, will check and top off fluid if needed.
And added a Pioneer AVH-P1400 double-din in January, just for fun :)

Plan on draining the coolant cleaning the reservoir this weekend, and doing the rear brakes, fronts were done last year.

Most importantly, the Jeep has a slight shake in the steering wheel when hitting a bump at any speed, its been there probably 6+ months, and I don't really noticing it getting any worse, and when looking under the front end nothing looks or feels worn or broken. I know the rims are straight, had one replaced after a slight bend, and all were rebalanced, and had an alignment late last summer. Drives nice and straight down the highway even at 75-80 MPH. Any ideas? Someone suggested tie rods, someone else suggested sway bar links, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it.

Also any other things to be sure to check? I know I have a good spare, a small compressor, basic tools, full 1/2" socket set, jumper cable, tow rope, spare bulbs, fuses, spare belt and water in the Jeep as well.

Last edited:

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May I ask how you fitted a Double Din into a Single Din sized slot??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good start on everything. I'd have the front end checked out if you have a slight shake, if you can't have them check tie rod ends, etc also how long has it been since its been aligned?
Mines got over 183,000 and do 550 miles every two weeks
Getting ready to make a 1300 mil run in a couple of weeks and just going to jump in and go, of course I'm **** about keeping every thing changed/updated carrying extra fluids/bunch of tools etc so can repair / replace anything on the road

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Get a good alignment shop or mechanic to check the upper and lower a frames (i think thats what thery are callef) there's bushings that wear out. Have a 2002, the lower ones were replaced about 5 yrsrs under recall, but the tops were shot. only 180,000 miles.
i do have a worn valve guide, going to try a heavier oil since i have to run out to LA for my kid's college grad in may. guess i should bring an extra qt of oil. From DFW to LA is about 3000 miles round trip.

You could try a shop that repairs and aligns , i'd get that whole steering/brake/front end bit checke at go back and read your post without losing what i'm writing... how many miles do your shocks have?
take care and drive safe
Mary aka Krashdragon

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The double din took a little modification, built a custom basket, cutting out a little bit behind where the deck goes, and modifying the trim plate around stereo is about all. I didn't take any pics of the process but I might be able to do a write up someday.

I had an alignment done last July. Out of nowhere I started having some inner tire wear, and it was between my 6k tire rotations since only the tires that were in front shows any wear. I asked for them to check the front end components to see what would cause it, and they said it had a bad toe in? and they had to almost adjust it as far as the adjustment would allow to get it back to specs. They said they didn't see anything unusual and it could have been caused from a large pothole.

Shocks are original so they have 92k on them.