'pre' lowered springs(what shocks to buy?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gonna go ahead and order a set of OE coil springs from mopar from an '02
('pre' - lowered) because i want minimal height increase.
I met someone at a car race years ago with a stock 02 renegade running 255/70/16's no problem and i loved the stuffed look. since a friend at work has an 02 i am gonna use his vin # and order a set of these longer (3/4inch) springs.

ok, so two questions, (hopefully some one has tried this bfore)

1. im ordering using friends vin that was built pre april(so has the original,longer springs), now do ya think chrysler will just give me the current equivalent(lowered) or original size?

the guy at the parts counter here can not tell me and says when i order it its mine,(due to being special order) so i have been hesitant, i explained that i have bigger tires and now kj's have shorter springs that would not allow my bigger tires and dont want to be screwed here but he is not offering any help to make sure of what i will be getting. whatever happened to microfiche, geeez.

2. provided i sort the above issue out what shocks should i order ?

i want the ranchos, 17004 and 17505, but again am not sure if these ar right. or would i just order ranchos for an '02 . actually a light just came on, i will call rancho dealer here tomorrow and see if they give me the same part #'s for 02 and 03(or later), if they do, i guess that would just mean they have no knowledge of the spring height changeover between those model years and i will have to count on you guys who have maybe(hopefully) already investigated this.

any help would be appreciated..............thanx......paul.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would be just as cheap to go with OME light ( same as stock OEM are 300-320 weight springs, OME light are 350 ) springs , not sure if they are even still producing the 02 springs or not anymore. In my collision repair book its only showing one spring available 52088625AA
The RSX 17505s are for any KJ lifted or not doesn't make a difference, the RSx 17004 are for lifted , if you're not lifting then just get the stock lenghth shock

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got some used 02 front springs and you might talk me into the rears as well

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all your responses....so much for that idea.
It was appealing because i could have got all the parts i needed locally.
and i would rather get new springs (since originals feel and look tired)rather than doing the plate or clevis stuff, i would only use the clevis ooption to correct the rake to my liking, if needed.
I guess i always knew that would be the better way to go (OME springs)but am scared of how much i will be ***** for customs and duty charges. its always a surprise cause none can tell you till it passes thru and then when the delivery guy shows up its like this whole cost again sometimes equal to the goods, and here in toronto the one store that has the kit, totals about $1400 after taxes.

Just one more question then,,,I have 4 isolators that i picked up awhile ago(collecting dust)in my garage,would my jeep ride like shit(due to the different spring rates) if i just bought the front ome lights for now and ran the isolators at rear with the stock coils?

And what alternatives to the 17505 and 17004 are their, only the Ome stuff ? cause they seem expensive.

Man, gotta make this choice soon,need tires, hopefully, before the snow flies and want my bigger toyo's.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Did you have yours shipped to the border or to your door? I can't remember.
If it was to your door ... who did you buy your OME parts from?

I'm currently thinkin' of using Al J's ... ??? ...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I bought all of my lift and upper control arms from All J Parts.
The only thing I paid for extra was the UPSShipping and Broakerage via UPS.
Yes, I could of saved some money by going across the broder to the US side and clear everything through customs, but to me it was worth the extra cash to a a profesional shipping outfit do it for me!
That way when I cross the border into the USA, the Canadian Customs have a copy of all the import papers and I don't have to worry about Canada Customs grilling me when I come back into Canada.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I agree.. if Al j's can ship it to me I will just bite the bullet and have it shipped when the time comes ...... tick tock ...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie will sell you all four of his prelowered '02 coils for the LOW LOW LOW PRICE of 60 dollars each!

THAT'S SIXTY DOLLARS CHEAPER than a set of OME springs, and will include shipping!

He's such a nice guy, that ThunderbirdJunkie.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i guess ill have to get a move on ordering this stuff but i think i will order from
jeepin by al since geographically he is much closer than allj's, might save a bit on shipping there.

@ryan09, what kind of money did ups charge for your order? do u remember?

and thunderbirdjunkie, i agree, u seem like a nice guy, but i think the rest on here have sold me on the OME's with the increased spring rate.

so i guess ill b calling jba on monday.......now just have to convince the wife that she would like the jeep better a little bit higher. :)

eh luke
any wheelin spots in or around barrie that u know of? my mother lives in wasaga
and im sure there are trails off of dunlop st. between barrie and wasaga, ive seen trucks out in the woods but couldnt see a way in.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
eh luke
any wheelin spots in or around barrie that u know of? my mother lives in wasaga
and im sure there are trails off of dunlop st. between barrie and wasaga, ive seen trucks out in the woods but couldnt see a way in.

None that I've found yet... other than the odd construction site, or farm :D

I'll defiantly check out that area though and let ya know what I find! Keswick Dave knows a place up near Minden, but I haven't been yet.

Cheers,