powertrax or lock-tite 02 libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
rear axle is 8.25 chrysler,is it also 29 spline? could also use leads on low priced
places to purchase this,have 3-4 places myself,just thought someone might know place i hadnt found. thanks

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you my story before you waste money on junk
first the Jeep
'02 TJ ,auto ,I6 ,3.73's
lifted 3"+
31" tall LTB's ,bias ply swampers
ARB in the front
Trash lock in the dana 44 rear

I installed a Power trax in the rear
first trail ride was on a maybe level 2 trail
broke it on a mild obstacle
replaced under warranty
go wheel on some harder terrain
no issues
2 weeks later return to easy trail
broken locker
Now when it breaks you only get power to the driver side wheel
which pushes you sideways down the highway ,IT *****
fed up with this thing and out of options I bit the bullet and installed a Detroit locker
best money I ever spent
the road manners are better than the power trax ever had
and after wheeling on trails from 1 to easy 4 I have had no issues
even after going to bigger tires no issues
my wife even wants 1 in her KJ "I am tired of the darn 1 wheel peel, I need what your Jeep has"
do you self a favor and spend the money right the first time
get a Detroit if you want an auto locker
get an ARB if you want selectable
any thing else is a waste of money

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about the ARB or the Detriot....:)

bobcat7

Reaction score
I am seriously considering an Aussie locker for my KJ. I have heard good reviews about them although they are similar to the Lock rite. Are there any other lockers that you can install yourself, just hate paying shop rates.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what I was about to say, I'm going with the aussie in a couple of months, (2 to 3 months from now) I have heard nothing but good reviews about this locker and I like the fact that is a " do it ur self" too

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out the DTT for the 8.25''... perfect on-road manners and efective off-road (unless the rocks be your thing)...

Since I have a Select-Trac (I can't put a front axle DTT) and I want a LSD in the rear axle, I'll go for a DTT/ARB setup (and a 4.10 regear)

Cheers! :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what I was about to say, I'm going with the aussie in a couple of months, (2 to 3 months from now) I have heard nothing but good reviews about this locker and I like the fact that is a " do it ur self" too

as long as you dont change the ring and pinion then chances are real good all you will need to do is shim the sides
I know when we did my ARB all we did was put the same amount of shims on both sides to make it fit tight
then add/remove to get a good pattern with the yellow goop

if you find the right shop they will have a flat rate for gear/locker install's
the local shop is $250 cash for labor and like any other shop if he does it wrong he will fix it ,even replace broken parts

all of the so called D I Y lockers are basically the same and will in the end have the same road manners which from the one I had are crappy
after the trouble I had I would never put one in
but then again people talk about how bad the Detroit acts and I dont see it

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out the DTT for the 8.25''... perfect on-road manners and efective off-road (unless the rocks be your thing)...

Since I have a Select-Trac (I can't put a front axle DTT) and I want a LSD in the rear axle, I'll go for a DTT/ARB setup (and a 4.10 regear)

Cheers! :)

There is no reason at all why you could not put a TT in the front
it only does its thing when it is getting power
so even with the T-case you have it will only aid in traction when you need it
also keep in mind that if you have ESP then it will put the breaks on for you
giving you the same basic effect of not having ESP but having a TT

also think of this
with the TT in the back when you git in a situation wher you lift 1 rear wheel then you will also be lifting 1 front wheel
with the set up of ARB front and TT rear you will be putting all the power to the 1 front wheel ,lifted wheels on an axle with a TT do little to nothing
the weak front diff may not be happy with that

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
yeah,been looking at aussie,and found another one too,just cant remember brand name right now,think it might of been on pirate.was higher price than aussie,so leaning to aussie.
I dont intend to rock crawl,just want a little more traction.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no reason at all why you could not put a TT in the front it only does its thing when it is getting power so even with the T-case you have it will only aid in traction when you need it
If I use Full-Time and front LSD on hard surfaces I'll get accelerated front tire wear and steering wheel's fast spring back... and I don't want front a locked axle when I don't expect that... I prefer it open and the selectable option of lock it.

also keep in mind that if you have ESP then it will put the breaks on for you giving you the same basic effect of not having ESP but having a TT
I have a '03 and fortunately, no, I don't have ESP which makes me tremendously happy :)

also think of this with the TT in the back when you git in a situation wher you lift 1 rear wheel then you will also be lifting 1 front wheel with the set up of ARB front and TT rear you will be putting all the power to the 1 front wheel ,lifted wheels on an axle with a TT do little to nothing the weak front diff may not be happy with that
First of all, if you use it properly, you can "fool" the DTT to lock on to get some power in the wheel with traction... and if you break a locked D30A its only if you screwed up... I've seen guys break stronger axles without lockers... Eventually everything brakes if you don't use it properly...

I know the limitations of the DTT LSD and I know that it isn't a locker... I think of it more like as a replacement for the Trash-Lock on road (I've used it many times so I know that I don't want it open when it dies) and a very valuable help off-road... I don't want to climb a rock wall with it...

But thanks for your advices anyway, they are always welcomed :)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I use Full-Time and front LSD on hard surfaces I'll get accelerated front tire wear and steering wheel's fast spring back... and I don't want front a locked axle when I don't expect that... I prefer it open and the selectable option of lock it.

I have a '03 and fortunately, no, I don't have ESP which makes me tremendously happy :)

First of all, if you use it properly, you can "fool" the DTT to lock on to get some power in the wheel with traction... and if you break a locked D30A its only if you screwed up... I've seen guys break stronger axles without lockers... Eventually everything brakes if you don't use it properly...

I know the limitations of the DTT LSD and I know that it isn't a locker... I think of it more like as a replacement for the Trash-Lock on road (I've used it many times so I know that I don't want it open when it dies) and a very valuable help off-road... I don't want to climb a rock wall with it...

But thanks for your advices anyway, they are always welcomed :)

because I dont feel the need to break up what you think you know
first if you are getting power to the front wheels on a hard surface then you have T-case issues as this should not happen
thus if you dont have power to the front wheels even a Detroit locker will do nothing in full time 4wd
no tire wear or any thing like that

Now for you and the rest of the people who think they can "fool the TT in to acting like a locker" keep believing that
but think about this if you apply the breaks dont both wheels see the same pressure? if not then your break system needs service

and as far as breakage
believe me when I tell you I have seen my share and every time it was from some one trying to do some thing there rig could not

now you can keep believing what ever you want and set up your rig how ever you want
but I will tell you this
99.9999% of the off road world runs locker rear and if they run an LSD they run them in the front not LSD rear and locker front
I had this set up ,granted it was a "tightened up" trash lock and an ARB
and I do better now with a Detroit rear and leaving the front open until I need it then I did running the front locked and the rear ,well it did its thing

but hey how would I know
oh yeah I just told you I had this set up