Power steering whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The power steering pump seems to be whining pretty bad with the colder weather setting in. Anyone else experiencing the same/replaced theirs? :blah:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume your fluid levels are good. If not, bingo.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just checked them, the PS was low, so I topped her off. Fingers crossed that's all it is. :D

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter it got real cold (-45c) and I started getting a whine like that, Fluid was low and I topped it up and it went away fairly quick, Checked for leaks and found nothing and never needed topping up since, Still not sure where that fluid went LOL.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You try sleeping outside in sub-zero weather once, and see if you don't whine in the morning! :happy175:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My PS pump whines when it gets below about 20F. Fluid is clean and the level is fine, the pump is just tired. Time for a new one soon along with the lines.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ doesn't do it but my old 300M would whine and piss and moan in the cold, almost as much as I do! It did so for over 100k miles with no problems.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya mine use to wine a lot when it was subzero.
I just suctioned out the power steering reservoir and then added a 50-50 mixture of ATF+4 and LubeGard Red which is their transmission additive.
LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
Much better and smoother.
If it still wines a lot you probably have air in system.
In that case you can bleed the air from the PS system by raising both front wheels off the ground, and turn from full left to full right a few times, and that should quiet it right down.
If that works now u have to find the leak, as air is getting in.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having the issue myself. Only getting air into the system when it's freezing out. Not losing any fluid though. I never replaced the hoses and probably never will have time to do it. Just hope it doesn't chew up my power steering pump. :(

Last edited:

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in south Florida. when it gets below 55' mine humps till driving for a while..been doing this for two years. this winter had a DG flush on it. took 98% of hum out..

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in south Florida. when it gets below 55' mine humps till driving for a while..been doing this for two years. this winter had a DG flush on it. took 98% of hum out..

Below 55? I wish I had that issue, Its common to be -40 and below up here :(