power steering - trying to find leak (new pump)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering fluid leak. Slow leak, bottom of the reservoir is wet with fluid, and some on the return line.
I replaced the pump six months ago with a new BBB Vision OE, because I thought the reservoir on the old pump was leaking at the o-ring.
New pump installed. Still had a leak, but this time at the high pressure line, so I put a new hp hose on it. No more leaks at high pressure line, now it seems to be leaking very slowly somewhere else. I'm hoping it's the return line.
It's difficult to tell exactly where the fluid is coming from. I'll degrease it again this week and see if I can pinpoint the culprit. Anyone have a return line leak at the reservoir this way? Thanks!

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are dyes available that you can add to the fluid of your choice (antifreeze, motor oil, trans fluid, etc) then use a black light to illuminate once it starts leaking out. I've never used one, but it sounds like it could be a godsend on a tough to trace leak,

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, I have some and used it to find the high pressure leak last time. Your reminder helped, I'll put some more in and see if I can spot the leak. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online