Power Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
Hi, when my CRD is cold..... and I live in Sydney Australia, so not really very cold..... My power steering kinda sticks..... at very low speed, it seems to Jam, but then if you let Steering wheel back up a bit, it releases and then you can use it normally again. This tends to happen a couple of times until the Oil is warm, and then it is fine, but it is quite dangerous for the first couple of minutes of the day..... any Ideas, suggestions on this one?..... I have been waiting for it to get worse to help identify the problem, but it has remained the same for a long time now.......

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you are in 2 WD ( not a 4Wd position) when it sticks?
Is the fluid at reservoir at full line cold/any leaks? Is the PS quiet or squealing at all?
Bubbles in fluid after running indicates air entering system.
All fluids including power steering gets dirty/old and I would start by suctioning out the PS reservoir and get new fluid in there. You may have to suction it out a few times to get it completely clean. You will know pretty quick if it is just a fluid problem or something worse.
The gas Kj's use ATF+4 transmission fluid in the PS reservoir.
Since you are riding in a CRD check your owner manual to confirm fluid requirements.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, when my CRD is cold..... and I live in Sydney Australia, so not really very cold..... My power steering kinda sticks..... at very low speed, it seems to Jam, but then if you let Steering wheel back up a bit, it releases and then you can use it normally again. This tends to happen a couple of times until the Oil is warm, and then it is fine, but it is quite dangerous for the first couple of minutes of the day..... any Ideas, suggestions on this one?..... I have been waiting for it to get worse to help identify the problem, but it has remained the same for a long time now.......

What year is your CRD?
The 2002 CRD came from the factory NOT with ATF +4 but with Mopar Power Steering Fluid....a honey colored fluid when used...clear when new.

You cannot mix the two types of fluid.....Chrysler did post a bulletin that 2002 KJs should have their fluid fluid drained by a Dealer and re-filled with the Red ATF +4 fluid.

If your CRD is newer than than 2002 or the fluid is definitely Red then you should be OK to top up with ATF + 4.

If the fluid has not been changed for some time then use a large syringe such as a Turkey baster to empty the resevoir and re-fill with the correct fluid.

Drive a few days and repeat this action a few times....this will cycle out most of the old fluid!

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your CRD is NEWER than the 2002 or the fluid is definitely Red then you should be OK to top up with ATF + 4.

Fixed it for you. I'm sure this is what you meant but just so the op knows.

The PO of mine mixed. I "flushed" it like Billwill said so not catastrophic but it whines bad when below about 20degF.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem with one of the power steering pumps that I had on my KJ. It was a reman'd pump and I was able to swap it out due to warranty. Do you know if it is the original power steering pump or has it been changed out?

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
Hi All, thanks for your responses. It is a 2005 KJCRD, I've had it since 2006, so pretty sure it's the original pump. I just checked the car, it is Red Fluid, and it's level is the cold full line. I don't see any bubbles, there is a little oil around the reservoir, but it can't have much of a leak..... it is essentially full. The system is quiet, makes a little noise when it Jams, but not really even a squeal...

I am pretty sure it has these symptoms if it is in either 2wd or 4wd position, otherwise I would just leave it in the other Pozzie....... could you explain the relevance of 2wd/4wd to the problem?

I guess it's pretty Simple to swap out the fluid a few times, to eliminate that as a problem....... its not my gut feeling of the issue, but hey gotta start somewhere!

Thanks again all for your input!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
A friend showed me a plastic power steering pump pulley from a toyota that had broken around the center and become wobble worn. Sometimes it turned and sometimes it slipped. Not known to be a CRD problem but it might be worth a look.

OZZYKJ

Reaction score
A friend showed me a plastic power steering pump pulley from a toyota that had broken around the center and become wobble worn. Sometimes it turned and sometimes it slipped. Not known to be a CRD problem but it might be worth a look.

I'll definately check it out, but this happens morning only, and only in Winter for the first 2-3 Minutes EVERY morning..... so doesn't sound as Random as your friends issue..... Thanks for the suggestion tho, appreciated.