Power Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jocarter539

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am fairly new to this forum. I looked around and couldn't find anything related to what I am experiencing.

I have an 02, 2.4L, manaul, 2x4 KJ. I know, I know its bare bones but for the price that I got it for I couldn't pass it up. Going to use it for a daily driver.

Anyways, to my issue. When i bought it the guy said he just put a new PS pump on it. PS didn't work on test drive and i really am not to worried about it.

After driving I noticed a lot of PS fluid leaking.

Long story short I lifted the car up and it appears as though the pump is working. I see the fluid in the reservoir increase and decrease when turning the wheel. (this is without resistance so only pushing air). With no resistance the fluid stays in safe operating levels. When I put resistance to the tire and turn the wheel I can see the reservoir increase with fluid to the point that it is blowing fluid out of the cap. (A lot of fluid in fact). After I stop turning the wheel the fluid level becomes normal. I did notice that the serpentine belt was not ran according to the diagram on the engine compartment. Fixed that still same thing.

I am by all means a rookie when it come to repairs but I am mechanically inclined to tackle things on my own.

Anyone else have same issue? or any idea on what i need to check.

I cant imagine it can be to many things. Assuming the pump was replaced and working properly the only things left would be hose or rack.

is it possible that the lines are installed backwards?

thanks for any input.

Last edited: