Power steering fluid type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently changed the power steering fluid on my 04 KJ and used regular power steering fluid. Did the flush myself at home. From what I have read ATF+4 is recommended, OOOPS! Should I take it to a shop and have it flushed immediately or will it be fine if I just leave it?

DJ

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your owners manual. The older KJ's recommend regular power steering fluid. The newer ones recommend ATF 4.

When I changed mine, I used Amsoil synthetic power steering fluid.

Although I think Troy said you could use ATF 4 on the older ones also....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2004 requires ATF+4 in PS.
Even though my 04 has been flushed, I found the power steering pump to be noisy and quite stiff when cold.
SO right after I bought the KJ I suctioned out the fluid that was in the reservoir and added the LubeGard PS fluid. The pump immediately quietened down, and now excellent when cold.
Now when I replenish the reservoir I use 50% ATF+4 and 50% LubeGard PS fluid. (keeps your fluid clean) replenish now once a year.
40705[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    LubeGardPS32oz.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fine,no need to bother with flushing it and going back to ATF+4.Chrysler just cutting down on the number of fluids it has to stock at the dealers so they just state ATF+4 for the trans,t-case,and PS system.They even have a TSB that states that but does not effect the WJ's with the hydraulic fans as those require a special PS fluid.

Since your PS system is it's own system you can safely run any ATF,PS fluid,and any engine oil up to 30wt with zero issues.ATF+4 is about equal to 5w-20 engine oil.Same goes for the t-case,you can run any ATF without issues and 5w-20/30 engine oil if you so choose.It's the trans that you must use a authorized ATF+4 trans fluid in.

Last edited: