power port plug power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use any accessories that plug into their power ports? I have a satellite radio reciever (XM MiFi) that has the car adapter and I'm always hesitant to leave it plugged in over night or for long periods of time between starting the Lib. I'm scared it might drain the battery. Naturally I turn the power to the unit/receiver off but I think it may still be draining power because whenever it's plugged in it likes to charge the receiver's internal battery.

As you can see in the pic (kinda) the adapter that came with it has a red LED to indicate that it's got power. That stays on when ever it's plugged in. Do you think that LED is enough to drain the battery if I just left it plugged in?

You must be registered for see images

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little LED like that would take months to drain a car battery. Providing your battery is upto par

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my cell charger in mne.......even when the phone not charging the charger is always plugged in, the LED in it takes very little power.

Speaking of how much power a LED take , my boss and I got bored one night and was wondering the same thing. On our truck we use has 22 lights(8 on each side and 6 across the top in the rear) each light has 5 LEDs in them ,the taillight(also LED) have about 18 LEDs in them and there are 4 of them. We got the multimeter and calculater out and went to it......well we found out that all of the LED light that are on the box of the truck combined (the ones listed above) take slightly less power than 1 1157(a regular taillight bulb).

gawilliams

Reaction score
Speaking of power outlets

The 2002 Liberty Sport I drive for work has TWO outlets up front, on the left side of the center console -- my new 2005 only has one, on the right. Plus I got hosed for the $30 "smoker's kit" so even it has a cigarette lighter in it, and no cover for it if I take the lighter out. Is that just a cost savings measure, or was there some other reason for the change? I can't charge my phone AND use GPS at the same time... or when my year of Sirius is up, use my XM Radio receiver at the same time without buying some aftermarket splitter! :-s

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a $6 kit from radioshack to get an extra cigarette outlet. I spliced it in behind the dash and actually just left the outlet behind there as well. I plugged in one of the adapters that I leave on all the time and left the whole thing hidden behind. So now I can charge a cell and use the GPS/PDA at the same time.

gawilliams

Reaction score
I like that idea -- I'll have to go by the Rat Shack and see what they have! Thanks!

evane007

Reaction score
I leave my radar detector and my satelite reciever plugged in all night. Had radar plugged all the time in my old neon. And she started everytime.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Speaking of power outlets

gawilliams said:
my new 2005 only has one, on the right. Plus I got hosed for the $30 "smoker's kit" so even it has a cigarette lighter in it, and no cover for it if I take the lighter out. Is that just a cost savings measure, or was there some other reason for the change?

I swapped the one in my 05 with one from an 02, provided the 2 power outlets and an ashtray for junk.

Bob

gawilliams

Reaction score
Re: Speaking of power outlets

I swapped the one in my 05 with one from an 02, provided the 2 power outlets and an ashtray for junk.

Bob

How'd you do that? I haven't looked closely... is there a screw or two that need to be removed? :-k

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one screw, found the 02 bezel on ebay for a couple of bucks and the seller included the wiring connectors and a few feet of wire for the plugs, new the deaer wanted about $150.00 and I would of had to figure out where to get the plugs from, it was a easy swap, finding the bezel was the hardest part.

Bob

rob_lewis

Reaction score
I just hooked up the Sirius radio on my wife's Liberty and realized that the power outlet was on all the time. Does anybody know of a way to make it switched power? A friend of mine had a Chrysler 300M. On that, if you plugged the fuse in one way, it was switched power and the other way was constant power. It doesn't look like the Liberty has anything like that, but I thought I would ask the experts.

-Rob