Possible bad ground wire ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hardluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i go to get in the lib today (06 auto ) and it won't turn over , power is all fine until i turn key , i pop hood and can hear my relays for my fuel pump , also the starter relay under hood making cranking noises , the batt terminals are covered in corrosion , which ive been having a problem with for awhile ,i had to replace the batt connections to a marine style cuz the old aluminum ones break on me all the time , also put the batt terminal washers on at that time , i took all apart and cleaned them all up and jeep finally fired after messing about for a few mins , could a bad ground wire cause this corrosion on the terminals ?, Anyone ever have a issue similar ? ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Corrosion is caused by the venting (non sealed w/removable caps) of lead acid batteries, especially ones that are overfilled. Use distilled water to just above cell lines.
When cleaning, include a stiff wire brush with water & a baking soda mix to neutralize acid.
The stock install has felt pads...attached below terminals...
49013[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

No corrosion is present on my terminals, I also clean them & use Vaseline on terminal ends...
If you want to eliminate venting get a Sealed battery or an AGM absorb glass matt battery.
They wont vent or cause corrosion problems...The Odyssey is the best.
49015[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• BatteryFeltPads.jpg
    BatteryFeltPads.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • OdysseyBatteryInfo.jpg
    OdysseyBatteryInfo.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 0

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dielectric grease also works, in fact any grease but start with the first one.

clean it before you do that.

or buy this.
cardhu-albums-other-repairs-picture3170-if-youve-got-sears-auto-buy-die-hard-if-your-canada-you-buy-if-your-sick-tired-plugging.jpg

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I like my box photo better ...it even comes with a sticker! ha ha..
49023[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• OdysseyBatteryPackaging.jpg
    OdysseyBatteryPackaging.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0

hardluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal to hear your relays making load knocking and clicking noises , while the key is in acc and you connect the ground wire ?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal to hear your relays making load knocking and clicking noises , while the key is in acc and you connect the ground wire ?

Yes it is normal and the rear tailgate latch makes a noise as you connect/disconnect the battery.