Portal hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Has anyone tried out portal hubs on here. 74 weld is out in left field on there prices. Thats saying the least of what i thought. Emerald west seems to be some what reasonable. What are Yals thoughts. On portals instead of regearing?

Scoot

Reaction score
I haven't done it yet I can't find anyone that makes one specifically for the liberty do you know of any or any that fight on the liberty?

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a Unimog. It will be cheaper.

Scoot

Reaction score
Not a bad idea although unimogs aren't super dailyable last I checked.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think the front ball joints wouldn't like the additional load from a portal setup.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I haven't done it yet I can't find anyone that makes one specifically for the liberty do you know of any or any that fight on the
I
use I haven't done it yet I can't find anyone that makes one specifically for the liberty do you know of any or any that fight on the liberty?
I was planing on building the portal hubs that I was going to use. It is a simple gear box and I have the machines to cut the plates for the case and do the necessary machining for the bearing races and I was going to purchase the gears. Then disassembled a few hub bearings for the spindles and drive to mount the gears to. Because the prices I found on them was 10 to 14 thousand dollars each. When they should be 4500 to 6000 a set. Because 2500 was a rough estimate of what it would cost me to build all 4 of my own. It is basically a hobby of mine. That and I enjoy the challenges of the project.

I was just curious about the public opinion on the drivability and use of the portal hubs.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I

I was planing on building the portal hubs that I was going to use. It is a simple gear box and I have the machines to cut the plates for the case and do the necessary machining for the bearing races and I was going to purchase the gears. Then disassembled a few hub bearings for the spindles and drive to mount the gears to. Because the prices I found on them was 10 to 14 thousand dollars each. When they should be 4500 to 6000 a set. Because 2500 was a rough estimate of what it would cost me to build all 4 of my own. It is basically a hobby of mine. That and I enjoy the challenges of the project.

I was just curious about the public opinion on the drivability and use of the portal hubs.
Which it would get me 6 inch more ground clearance and put me at 18 in total lift with 37 inches center hub to bottom of the fender.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I'd think the front ball joints wouldn't like the additional load from a portal setup.
I have to agree that was where my draw back from the idea fell. And if I was going to that great of a distance. I figure might as well. Start with a dana 44 high pinion. Then go to the portal hub because the extra 4 inches of leverage isn't going to agree with the springs either. And creating a whole new issue that is difficult to address.

Scoot

Reaction score
ok that makes sense I didn't even think about building some myself

Scoot

Reaction score
Which it would get me 6 inch more ground clearance and put me at 18 in total lift with 37 inches center hub to bottom of the fender.
Dang that's an aggressive setup. Do you have a front solid axle swap to get that big of a lift?

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Dang that's an aggressive setup. Do you have a front solid axle swap to get that big of a lift?
Right now I'm running the factory IFS with 31 inches center hub to bottom of the fender. I drop the upper control arm down 8¾ lowered the subframe 5" and dropped the lca 3¾ inches to achieve the factory geometry of the control arms then I fabricated a adjustable lower

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Right now I'm running the factory IFS with 31 inches center hub to bottom of the fender. I drop the upper control arm down 8¾ lowered the subframe 5" and dropped the lca 3¾ inches to achieve the factory geometry of the control arms then I fabricated a adjustable lower spring tower

Scoot

Reaction score
Right now I'm running the factory IFS with 31 inches center hub to bottom of the fender. I drop the upper control arm down 8¾ lowered the subframe 5" and dropped the lca 3¾ inches to achieve the factory geometry of the control arms then I fabricated a adjustable lower
that's impressive

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 48d5a841a0b7f9401692d46d312599f6_1.jpeg
    48d5a841a0b7f9401692d46d312599f6_1.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 5

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
that's impressive
Thank you it was and has been an interesting build. I was trying to get multiple pictures to post but either my phone doesn't want to cooperate or I'm lacking the knowledge to get it done not sure which

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
I need a set of 5.13 gears but I have not had any luck coming up with a set for the front differential