Point me in the right direction for tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am kind of tire illiterate I dont know what to do. I want a good beefy looking tire, but I dont want a mudder. I want to be able to drive down the highway with out to much noise and I need it to handle good in the snow. What is the best overall Snow, Road, Off Roadish, Long lasting tire? I am putting the frankin lift on my jeep and I need a set of rims too. What size should I go with? How bad will it kill my mpg? Do I need to re gear?

mallcrawler

Reaction score
I just recently put a set of Discount tires house brand PATHFINDER A\Ts i have only put about 400 some miles on them so far but i am pretty pleasedwith them. I have had on some dirt roads even had to put it 4hi to climb up a pretty steep rocky rutted hill and it climbed it like a cat. They also seem pretty quiet at 70 MPH on the highway.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top 4 rated A/T tire on tirerack.com (biggest tire website on the net):

1- Michelin LTX A/T2
2- Firestone Destination A/T
3- Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
4- Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO

Either one of those will kick ass in any weather conditions you drive through. Myself I am opting for the Firestones since they are less expensive than the other 3.

onlyina

Reaction score
Installed Yokohama Geolandar AT-S last weekend.Major improvement over the stock GY HP's.They are at least a quiet.Responsive on wet and dry pavement.Looking forward to some snow

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here we go again ,for the 1000th time
if you drive on road and want on road performance get a road tire
if you want off road performance get an off road tire
there is NO tire that will do both
I have run several tires on the KJ and the TJ ,not to count the other cars and trucks I have owned, from one end of the spectrum to the other
That is from full on bias ply swampers to z rated high speed tires on a Firebird

The best middle of the road tire that I have found ,and only due to a smoking deal of $150 each including shipping, was the MTR-K's on my TJ
these are a 32 X 11.5 on a 15" rim

The best road tire ,and I think of them as road tires, are the Yokohama AT's that are on the KJ

My view when we bought the Yoko's was simple
we needed new tires because the MTR's were starting to dry rot ,had 40K on them
and could have gone longer but they were cracking real bad
we knew that the KJ was retired from trail duty for about at least year
so we figure $400 for a tire to last us a year or so is not a bad deal
when we get the new ride ,DD for my wife to run into the ground, the KJ will be back on MT's and the best part is it will be cheep MT's
We know that it will spend 90% road time but
SO WHAT IT IS A JEEP AND GETTING STUCK BECAUSE YOU HAVE CRAPPY AT'S
***** MORE THAN NOISE
and if you really think about it my TJ spends more than 90% of it's milage on the road and I ran bias ply swampers on it
I drove it 1500+ miles on swampers
I dont think twice to drive it 200 or so miles 1 WAY to get to the closest park to wheel 10 miles and drive home another 200 miles
that is 97.5% road driving and it will have nothing but MT no matter what

Milage ,not and issue, I can get 30K out of cheep MT's so that is 60K and still only be out $800 ,2 sets at $400 a set because I know a guy

I say man up put on MT's if you plan to wheel

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
here we go again ,for the 1000th time
if you drive on road and want on road performance get a road tire
if you want off road performance get an off road tire
there is NO tire that will do both
I have run several tires on the KJ and the TJ ,not to count the other cars and trucks I have owned, from one end of the spectrum to the other
That is from full on bias ply swampers to z rated high speed tires on a Firebird

The best middle of the road tire that I have found ,and only due to a smoking deal of $150 each including shipping, was the MTR-K's on my TJ
these are a 32 X 11.5 on a 15" rim

The best road tire ,and I think of them as road tires, are the Yokohama AT's that are on the KJ

My view when we bought the Yoko's was simple
we needed new tires because the MTR's were starting to dry rot ,had 40K on them
and could have gone longer but they were cracking real bad
we knew that the KJ was retired from trail duty for about at least year
so we figure $400 for a tire to last us a year or so is not a bad deal
when we get the new ride ,DD for my wife to run into the ground, the KJ will be back on MT's and the best part is it will be cheep MT's
We know that it will spend 90% road time but
SO WHAT IT IS A JEEP AND GETTING STUCK BECAUSE YOU HAVE CRAPPY AT'S
***** MORE THAN NOISE
and if you really think about it my TJ spends more than 90% of it's milage on the road and I ran bias ply swampers on it
I drove it 1500+ miles on swampers
I dont think twice to drive it 200 or so miles 1 WAY to get to the closest park to wheel 10 miles and drive home another 200 miles
that is 97.5% road driving and it will have nothing but MT no matter what

Milage ,not and issue, I can get 30K out of cheep MT's so that is 60K and still only be out $800 ,2 sets at $400 a set because I know a guy

I say man up put on MT's if you plan to wheel

Pretty much says it all.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am kind of tire illiterate I dont know what to do. I want a good beefy looking tire, but I dont want a mudder. I want to be able to drive down the highway with out to much noise and I need it to handle good in the snow. What is the best overall Snow, Road, Off Roadish, Long lasting tire? I am putting the frankin lift on my jeep and I need a set of rims too. What size should I go with? How bad will it kill my mpg? Do I need to re gear?

My Yoko Geolandars performed extremely well in last years snow here in Seattle. I ended up driving half the company around because transportation got shut down. Never been stuck off-road in my Geolandar AT's. But I don't do mud, so I can't tell you how they perform there.

They were awesome in the snow, great on dry/wet dirt. Do extremely well over rocky terrain. Will buy another set when these wear out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the new Goodyear Dura Tracs I just put on mine, cross between an of road tire and a AT snow rated and all , quiet on the road for the tread design

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much guys! I am doing alot of searching and shopping. I did run across a set of Hancook DynaPro AT's that look pretty sweet and the price is decent. What do you guys think of them? I see that no one has commented on them? I like the Yokahama's and my shop is even a Yokahama dealer, but I still don't know jack about tires!

I have a set of KJ Rims 18" I am thinking about running 255/70/18's I think thats what i have on there right now with out a lift and it def. fills up the wheel wells I need to pound my pinch weld (only rubs at extreme turns) and in the back if I turn up a driveway approach rarley. I am affraid they might look to small with a lift. What do you think?

Here is the link I found the Hancooks
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/hankook/255%2F70-18+hankook+dynapro+at+rf10+t.html

They look kinda beefy too

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I find out how high tires are? I swear I am running 255/70/18s with out a lift. Ill check tonight when I get home.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you would have the same size as us running 245/75/16's and that's on of the most commonly used (after fitting a LIFT!) tire size on KJ's. Because they look good and fit good.

But we get 7,2" sidewall, you get 6.3".

Here's a link to tire calculation

Here's what it would look like...sortof.

You must be registered for see images

Hey thanks! What kind of tires are those?

They look sexy!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.