Plural Nonsence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grammar and proper punctuation is one of my pet peeves (I know, that's strange). I was wondering ...

What is the proper plural version of "Liberty?" Libertys? Liberties?

I know for sure its not “Liberty’s” since we’re not referring to the possessive form.

Liberties is the proper version grammatically, but in this case, since the word is a proper name, is Libertys the correct spelling?

Stupid, I know.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Accoring to MS word its liberties - it didn't like libertys and suggested liberties.

Bennett

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liberties is the proper spelling, but I bet MS Word is unaware that in this case, Liberty is referring to a proper name, in which case you'd simply add an 's' to pluralize it. As in the sentence, "There are two JC Penneys within 10 miles of each other." You wouldn't spell it "JC Penneies."

Perhaps I should just stop thinking about it.

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
Liberty is referring to a proper name, in which case you'd simply add an 's' to pluralize it

exactly, correctly stated it's Libertys regardless of what your spell checker might want to change it to.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Liberty is a noun, I would suggest that adding 'ies' to make it plural is incorrect.

By default I think it would be correct to refer to the plural as 'Libertys'.

However, who cares? It's always better to see Libertys, because the more the merrier! \:D/

Ian

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah it is Libertys now that I thought about it for a couple days.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
Liberties is the proper spelling, but I bet MS Word is unaware that in this case, Liberty is referring to a proper name, in which case you'd simply add an 's' to pluralize it. As in the sentence, "There are two JC Penneys within 10 miles of each other." You wouldn't spell it "JC Penneies."

You're right.. I wouldn't spell it JC Penneies. I'd call it JC Pennies (two E's, not three) if I was so apt to. :iconbiggrin: But, since I'm Canadian and don't shop there, I likely wouldn't use the term at all! :toothy5:

I'd say it with a quick flip backwards of the head with my nose held high and announce it as Libertys (Luh-ih-ber-taze)! \:D/

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are mistaken: the store's name is spelled Penney, not Penny. In this case, Penney is the last name of the founder, James Cash Penney, and does not refer to the coin (penny).

So the store's name is JC Penney, and the plural form is "JC Penneys."

But we digress...

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
jjo said:
I'd say it with a quick flip backwards of the head with my nose held high and announce it as Libertys (Luh-ih-ber-taze)! \:D/

4factor,

You forgot your last part of that. "Luh-ihber-taze, dontcha know." Or is that more of a Minnesota thing? LOL! :)

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
4Factor said:
jjo said:

4factor,

You forgot your last part of that. "Luh-ihber-taze, dontcha know." Or is that more of a Minnesota thing? LOL! :)
Must be a Minnesota thing, us Canadians are world famous for "eh!" as in "it's Canadian eh, no doot a-boot it" (as well as when we "jersey" people)
So we would say "Luh-ihber-taze, eh!" :toothy5:

... and this is something that needs to be moved to OT (hint, hint admins) \:D/

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
You are mistaken: the store's name is spelled Penney, not Penny. In this case, Penney is the last name of the founder, James Cash Penney, and does not refer to the coin (penny).

So the store's name is JC Penney, and the plural form is "JC Penneys."

But we digress...

But I sell collector coins for a living (among other things)... so I'd call it Penny! \:D/

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it a locally-made commercial, or a corporate national spot? If it was a national spot, shame on them. If it was a local one, that's understandable.

As part of my job, I make car commercials for smaller dealerships (see some here).

I always try to be mindful of grammar and punctuation, but once in a while, a mistake slips through. Once, I spelled Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo as "Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado." Only a few Jeep dealerships caught it.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jjo said:
Was it a locally-made commercial, or a corporate national spot? If it was a national spot, shame on them. If it was a local one, that's understandable.

As part of my job, I make car commercials for smaller dealerships (see some here).

I always try to be mindful of grammar and punctuation, but once in a while, a mistake slips through. Once, I spelled Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo as "Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado." Only a few Jeep dealerships caught it.

That has got to be fun! I'm in marketing (mortgage lending) and I once printed a sign/poster with an error ("you" should have been "your"). Funny thing, two other people didn't catch it either. But, only one person out in the field ever said anything about it. :-#

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJO, now that I am not at work, I just watched all of your commercials and they are great, lol! Nice job! Well written and catchy. =D> =D> =D>

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't write them, I just edit them (well, some of them).

I'll pass your comments along.

(If you want to see some of our other non-car commercials, they can be seen here.)